A Conversation for Roguelike games

Help..?

Post 1

Cybernard

Any help on html/guideML tags would be welcome...


Help..?

Post 2

jrn

What sort of tags? You might want to try the GuideML Clinic at A187229, which has all kinds of things GuideML related.

A few comments on your entry:
* you seem to like quotes a lot. H2G2 is a great place for pretending to have researched this stuff out on your own, so, unless you're really at a loss for words, just combine and paraphrase from your sources and don't plegarise [sp?]. For example, your beginning

Quoting from the roguelike FAQ, "It all began with a simple game called "Rogue", which was very simplistic, and used an ASCII display, allowing the character to control an adventurer. The popularity of this game spawned a long list of variants, and whole new games using a similar idea. These in turn spawned variants and new games, and there are now many of these games in existance."

could be changed completely, to something like

Long ago, there was a game called Rogue. Before Rogue, most games had long descriptions of the player's location, but Rogue was the first to actually show you where you were. In that time before graphics it had to use ASCII characters to represent objects, walls, and monsters, but some say that this lets your imagination draw far better pictures than computer graphics can create. Of course, being the revolutionary game it was, it was a success. It begat many new variants, and the variants begat their own, creating a whole new genre of computer games, named after the original: roguelike games.

* You really should use third person whenver possible. For example, "I also think most people wold agree with most of these points" could be changed to "Most people agree that all roguelikes have the following in common:". BTW, that list should be changed to a bullet list (UL, not OL), since we don't care about order or length.

* It would be nice if you didn't just take all your game descriptions from websites and you actually put in something of your own that you could not get elsewhere.

* This entry looks, understandably, pretty rough. If you want help or something, please tell me.

* Oh yeah, and to have a nice pretty indented quote, use -


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Roguelike games

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more