The Art Of Acronymising

0 Conversations

Acronyms... you probably think they're just useful abbreviations, right? I'm sure you've also seen the occasional humourous or clever expansion - like FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real.Well, this entry is to show you how you can make your own such acronyms - something which is a lot of fun to do, and can expand your knowledge and vocabulary. It's especially fun and challenging to make the expansion's meaning similar to that of the acronym. And once you've made some, there are a few places you could put them.The following acronymising tips are by Tony McCoy O'Grady and are also featured on his and my ACRONYMS: A Casual Roundup Of Novelties in Your Message System website, also known as A Crazy Roundup Of Nonsense You Must See, or one of 5 other ACRONYMS expansions.

Acronymising Tips

  • Get, and use, a thesaurus. Frequently you will know just the right word to express a thought, but it will begin with the wrong letter.
  • Think in phrases/groups of letters. It can ease the process if you can fit an existing phrase into your acronym, for example "ing" can be "Is No Good", 'ish' can be "I Suggest Helpfully". These may be useful to finish an expansion.
  • Try not to use words with Xs or Zs. These can be too difficult to match creatively, and unrepetitively.
  • Use British-English or American-English spellings interchangeably. It may be useful to you to have an extra letter at times or to have one fewer at others.
    COLOR as against COLOUR
    Collection Of Light Originates Rainbow
  • Try to make the expansion fit the acronym - See COLOR example, where color and rainbow go together.
  • Try to keep the use of extraneous words to a minimum. Words in brackets (although frequently unavoidable) take away from the impact of an expansion.
  • Remember that a hyphenated word can be used for the expansion of either one or two letters.
    Half-baked could be used for 'H' or Half-Baked for 'HB'. (Although I'm not sure how often you'll find a word containing 'HB')
  • If stuck for one particular letter, try amending one or two others you already have words for. Changing the meaning you're aiming for can assist in matching the stray letter.
  • Begin by modifying existing acronyms to suit your own particular needs... sometimes changing one word in an expansion can make it so much more fitting. Remember: No acronym is so good that it cannot be improved!
  • Always explain your acronyms when using them for the first time with a new correspondent.....they may not understand, or worse, they may have a different and/or opposite meaning in mind.
  • Long words are easier to expand than short ones. They give more scope for word play.
  • Be civil!
    If you must use a rude word, try to do so humourously... remember that not everybody shares your ethos/sensibilities.
  • Bear in mind that English may not be the primary language of your audience. Don't rush into anger or laughter at what 'you' may be misinterpreting.
  • Don't wait until you need one to create an acronym. Collect or create them in advance. The very time you need one will be the time you get a mental block. Having some at the ready will look better on IRC!
  • Broaden your vocabulary. Browse through your dictionary picking up new words and new meanings for ones your already know.
  • If an expansion won't work out, try modifying the base word. Pluralise it, past tense it, adjectivise it, misspell it on purpose - change a 'c' to a 'k' or an 'f' to a 'ph' or even an 's' to a 'z' (it may make a difference).
  • Use a commonly-known foreign word if it helps.
  • Avoid spelling out rude words fully in an expansion. They can be typed with asterisks if you really need to include them. As I do here with 'r*d* w*rds' - the asterisks usually take the places of the vowels.
  • Have fun..... this is probably the most important tip.... one of the main purposes of this stack [referring to the ACRONYMS HyperCard Stack] is to create a bit of mirth!

What to do with the acronyms once you've made them

Most importantly, you should tell your friends about the acronyms - it might amuse them and even inspire them to take up this insane hobby. But also, there are some places online where you might want to mention your acronym.
  • ACRONYMS: A Crazy Roundup Of Nonsense You Must See - a website and HyperCard stack (for Macintosh) full of original acronyms... Submit your (original) acronym to the ever-growing list here and you could get your name in the hall of fame or the honours list.
  • Greebo and Oss's Word Game - In the forums here there are many words which you can offer expansions of (in Greebo's own words, all you have to do is find a sentence that can be made out of the letters of a given word), or you can start a new conversation with a different word.
If you know of any other websites or guide entries where you can submit original acronyms, please mention them in the forum below and I'll add them in.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A267491

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more