The Year 2003

0 Conversations


As per discussions at F150575?thread=424563, this is an entry about the year 2003 on the Collaborative Account Project. Please contribute!

For the moment I have a list of major events that people may wish to write about; if you can think of any others that I have missed out, just write about them instead!

An Introduction to the Year 2003

January

  1. A double suicide bombing occurs on January 5th in Tel Aviv, Israel, killing 23.
  2. Bad floods occur in Germany.
  3. Astronomers at Princeton University discover the most distant extrasolar planet on the 7th of January.
  4. Bushfires break out in Canberra on the 18th.
  5. An earthquake occurs in Mexico on the 21st - 7.6 on the Richter scale.

February

  1. 1st - Space shuttle Colombia disintegrates. An entry about the crew exists here.
  2. 9th - Cricket World Cup begins, held in South Africa.
  3. The SARS virus hits Hong Kong and Vietnam after spreading from China.

March

  1. US/UK invasion of Iraq.

April

    May

    1. 24th - Eurovision song contest with Turkey winning.
    2. 31st - Annual solar eclipse occurs.

    June

    1. 20th - Olympic Summer Games begin.

    July

    August

    1. 1st - News of a weak gravitational shielding effect pertaining to Superconductivity is released.
    2. 27th - The closest Mars has been to the Earth for 60 000 years.
    3. Large scale power cuts occur in north-east USA and Canada.

    September

    1. 27th - the SMART-1 lunar satellite is launched.

    October

    1. 7th - Arnold Scwarzenegger is elected Governor of California.
    2. 15th - Shenzhou 5 is launched (China's first manned space expedition).
    3. 24th - Concorde is decommissioned.

    The Baseball World Series

    The 2003 World Series was the 100th time that the championship of Major League   baseball has been won1. This particular series and post-season was one of the most dramatic and exciting that baseball has ever seen. Through this post-season, baseball once again earned its title as America's past-time.

    Note that while baseball is an internationally appealing game, the rule and terms can be confusing. For this, see h2g2's entry on Baseball Basics.

    In the World Series, The Marlins defeated the powerful Yankees, also defeating a strong tradition and a powerful team. Their manager, Jack McKeon would also win Manager of the Year, and of course, every member of the team would receive World Champion rings.

    November

    1. 9th - Lunar eclipse occurs.
    2. 20th - Istanbul is bombed.
    3. 23rd - total solar eclipse.

    December

    1. 1st - using mobile phones whilst driving is made illegal in the UK (except N. Ireland).
    2. 13th - USA captures Saddam Hussein in Tikrit.
    3. 22nd - Earthquake kills 2 people in California.
    4. 25th - Beagle 2 fails to communicate from Mars.
    5. 26th - Earthquake devastates Iran.

    Other Things You Could Write About Here

    • Books Written/Published in 2003;
    • Movies Made in 2003;
    • Major Video Games Released in 2003;
    • Most significant births and deaths of 2003;
    • Nobel Prizes or the winners of other significant awards in 2003.
    1The very first baseball championship belongs to the Boston Red Sox, but they unluckily weren't able to the 2003 World Series.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A2657865

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    References

    h2g2 Entries

    External Links

    Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more