The Covered Bridges of Bucks County, Pennsylvania

1 Conversation

The covered bridge is a symbol of Pennsylvania's quaint past that is often used in promotional and marketing materials1. At their peak in the 19th Century there were more than 1500 covered bridges in Pennsylvania, however, the first covered bridges are thought to have been constructed in Europe in the Middle Ages.

The numerous streams in the eastern USA were most easily bridged using the abundant timber from the nearby forests. But building a bridge's trusses and supports entirely of wood would expose them to weather damage. To solve this problem, the simple solution of adding a roof to cover the bridge's trusses and supports made covered bridges tremendously popular as a stream crossing.

It is estimated that there are more still than 200 covered bridges in Pennsylvania. The majority of the state's covered bridges lie in the south-eastern and south-central part of Pennsylvania. And it is a testament to the workmanship of their creators that the majority of the bridges still in existence today are able to support automobiles2.

Even in relatively built-up parts of Pennsylvania like Bucks County just north of Philadelphia, there are a dozen covered bridges - 10 of which support vehicular traffic. While this isn't the highest county total in Pennsylvania, it does represent more than 5 percent of the state's total.

So what makes the covered bridges of Bucks County so special?

Part of their charm is that they're located in a relatively built-up suburban area as opposed to a more traditional rural setting like those in Perry County. Further, five of the bridges are highlighted in a three-hour driving tour for which maps can be obtained by contacting the Bucks County Conference and Visitors Bureau.

The Covered Bridges

  • Cabin Run Bridge - This bridge was built in 1871 and spans the Cabin Run Creek. At 82 feet in length, this bridge is painted red with a white portal. It is located just downstream from Loux Bridge.

  • Erwinna Bridge - The shortest covered bridge in the county, this 56-footer crosses the Lodi Creek in Tinicum Township. It is painted in the traditional red with a white portal. The National Historic Register lists its construction date as 1871, but county records indicate that it may have been built as early as 1832.

  • Frankenfield Bridge - Built two miles upstream from where the Tinicum Creek flows into the Delaware River, this is one of the longest covered bridges in the county at 130 feet. It was built in 1872 and is painted red. There is a small nameplate on the bridge listing its date of construction, its length and height.

  • Knecht's Bridge - Also known as Slifer's Bridge, this bridge was built of hemlock in 1873. This 110-foot span crosses Durham Creek in Springfield Township. It is painted in the traditional red with white entry portals.

  • The Loux Bridge - Located in Plumstead Township, this 60-foot covered bridge crosses Cabin Run Creek upstream from Cabin Run Bridge. It was built in 1874. It is unique among the bridges in the county for being painted white.

  • Mood's Bridge - Built in 1874, this 120-foot span crosses the Perkiomen Creek in East Rockhill Township. This bridge is currently closed after being severely damaged by arson in the summer of 2004. At the time of writing, the bridge's future looks bleak.

  • Pine Valley Bridge - Crossing Pine Run Creek and also known as Iron Hill Bridge, this 81-foot span was built in 1842 from hemlock and pine. Painted in the traditional red with white entry portals, this bridge is also heavily used and caution should be taken if venturing across it on foot or taking photos.

  • Schofield Ford Bridge - Originally built in 1873, this bridge burned down in 1991 and was rebuilt in 1997. This town truss style bridge is also known as Twining Ford Bridge and crosses Neshaminy Creek in Tyler State Park. The longest in Bucks County, it is 170 feet across and is closed to traffic.

  • Sheard's Mill Bridge - This 130-foot bridge spans the Tohickon Creek and was built in 1873. It is also sometimes referred to as Thatcher Bridge. The remains of an old mill - owned at one time by the Sheard family - are just to the south of the bridge which is painted in the traditional red with a white entry.

  • South Perkasie Bridge - Built in 1832, this 93-foot bridge no longer crosses the Pleasant Spring Creek. In 1958 it was moved from its original site to Lenape Park in the Borough of Perkasie. The bridge is closed to vehicle traffic. The entire bridge is painted red and bears a famous sign which reads - $5 Fine for Any Person Riding or Driving Over This Bridge Faster Than a Walk or Smoking Segars3 On.

  • Uhlerstown Bridge - Built in 1832, this 101-foot bridge crosses the Delaware Canal in Tinicum Township. Made of oak, it has windows on both sides. It is painted in the traditional red with white entry portals.

  • Van Sant Bridge - Located in Washington Crossing Historic Park, this 86-foot span crosses Pidcock Creek. It is also known as Beaver Dam Bridge and was built in 1875. It is painted in the traditional red with white entry portals.

Covered bridges are also referred to locally as 'Kissing Bridges' and Pennsylvania Dutch tradition holds that you should kiss your sweetheart while passing through a covered bridge for 'good luck'.

A517376A1051561A778205
1Tourism is the state's second-leading industry behind farming.2Though only one vehicle at a time and certain vehicle size limitations exist for some bridges!3Cigars

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2656956

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more