Louise Brooks: Actress and Writer

4 Conversations

Louise Brooks is an icon of the 20th century, her face framed by her famous 'black helmet' hairstyle symbolising the Flappers of the twenties, a look copied by Cyd Charisse in 'Singing in the Rain', Liza Minelli in 'Cabaret', Melanie Griffiths in 'Something Wild', Uma Thurman in 'Pulp Fiction', and Catharine Zeta Jones in 'Chicago', but she is rarely remembered nowadays as the gifted actress she was. To take a look at what she looked like go to LBS Portrait Galleries.

Her Life and Work

She was born Mary Louise Brooks on the 14th November, 1906 in Cherryvale, Kansas. She grew up in a large, respectable, middle-class family but from a very early age she was dancing semi-professionally. In 1922, still only aged 15, she left home for A199389 to join the Denishawn Dance Company, then the leading modern dance company in the US. In 1924 she became a chorus girl in the 'George White Scandals,' a Broadway show. Later that year she worked as a dancer at the Cafe de Paris in London, and was the first person in the UK to dance the Charleston. In 1925 she returned to New York and Broadway and joined the Ziegfeld Follies, soon becoming one of the two 'Glorified Girls,' the speciality dancers at the centre of many routines. Alberto Vargas1 painted her portrait which took pride of place in Florenz Ziegfeld's office. Very much a member of the New York smart set, she was regularly seen with the likes of Humphrey Bogart, and had a two month-long affair with A2754191, moving into his suite at the Ambassador Hotel. Later that year she appeared in her first film,'The Street of Forgotten Men'. This was a bit part as a 'moll' but by her third film, 'A Social Celebrity,' she was playing the female lead. Her 1928 film, 'Beggars of Life', was Paramounts first film to include sound scenes.

Louise Brooks was successful as an actress making 24 films between 1925 and 1938. She did not go unnoticed. She was the inspiration for both the stage play 'Show Girl' and the long-running 'Dixie Dugan' comic strip, illustrated by JH Striebel. In 1927 she was the fourth most written about actress in the US, after Clara Bow, Joan Crawford, and Colleen Moore. In 1928 she refused to sign a new contract with Paramount because it offered no increase in salary. In 1929 with the promise of work in Europe, she left for Berlin and what would become her most famous role, as Lulu in the classic German film, 'Pandora's Box', directed by GW Pabst. Brooks made 2 other films in Europe, before returning to the U.S. She turned down several contracts and refused to record sound scenes for 'The Canary Murder Case'. Annoyed, Paramount 'sent out a story, widely published and believed that they let me go because I was no good in talkies'. She found herself effectively blacklisted and relegated to supporting roles in B-movies. Her intelligence, independence, and self-destructive streak all contributed to her effective exile from Hollywood. Frank Thompson wrote of her, 'Brooks' idea of independence was mistaken for scatterbrained irresponsibility by some - and her penchant for "temper tantrums" did not ease with age ... she was the bane of her directors - and often her co-stars as well due to her cavalier approach to the business'. Louise Brooks herself admitted 'In Hollywood I was a pretty flibbertigibbet whose charm for the executive department decreased with every increase in her fanmail. In Berlin, I stepped onto the station platform to meet Pabst and became an actress'. She was twice married and divorced, first to film director Edward Sutherland, and then to wealthy Chicago playboy Deering Davies. She never asked for or recieved any financial support from either of her ex-husbands.

After years of obscurity and poverty she found a new career as a film critic. During the 1950s-70s she produced thoughtful and insightful essays about the people she had known and worked with. In 1975 Louise Brooks decided that,'I shall write no more. Writing truth for people nourished on publicity crap is a useless exercise.'2After giving up writing she lived in near-total seclusion and suffered from bouts of depression and ocasional 'gincoherence'.

In 1965 the Italian artist Guido Crepax created 'Valentina', a comic strip inspired by Louise Brooks. On the 8th August, 1985 Louise Brooks died aged 78 in A594416. In the years since her death the reputation of Louise Brooks has risen. Some of her films, including those directed by GW Pabst, 'Pandora's Box' and 'Diary of a Lost Girl', are available on DVD and there are numerous books about her. Once seen she is not easily forgotten. As the French film historian Henri Langlois said 'There is no Garbo! There is no Dietrich! There is only Louise Brooks!'

Filmography of Louise Brooks

  • 1925 The Street of Forgotten Men directed by Herbert Brenon, with Percy Marmont (Famous Players-Lasky,3 New York)
  • 1926 The American Venus directed by Frank Tuttle, with Esther Ralston, Ford Sterling and Lawrence Grey (Famous Players-Lasky, New York)
  • 1926 A Social Celebrity directed by Malcolm St. Clair, with Adolph Menjou and Chester Conklin (Famous Players-Lasky, New York)
  • 1926 It's the Old Army Game directed by Edward Sutherland, with W.C. Fields and William Gaxton (Famous Players-Lasky, New York)
  • 1926 The Show-Off directed by Malcolm St. Clair, with Ford Sterling and Lois Wilson (Famous Players-Lasky, New York)
  • 1926 Just Another Blonde directed by Alfred Santell, with Dorothy Mackaill, Jack Mulhall and William Collier Jr. (First National, New York)

  • 1926 Love'em and Leave'em directed by Frank Tuttle, with Evelyn Brent and Lawrence Grey (Famous Players-Lasky, New York)
  • 1927 Evening Clothes directed by Luther Reed, with Adolph Menjou (Paramount, New York)
  • 1927 Rolled Stockings directed by Richard Rosson, with Richard Arlen (Paramount, New York)
  • 1927 The City Gone Wild directed by James Cruze, with Thomas Meighan (Paramount, New York)
  • 1927 Now We're in the Air directed by Frank Strayer, with Wallace Beery and Raymond Hatton (Paramount, New York)
  • 1928 A Girl in Every Port directed by Howard Hawks, with Victor McLaglen and Robert Armstrong (Fox, Hollywood)
  • 1928 Beggars of Life directed by William Wellman, with Wallace Beery and Richard Arlen (Paramount, Hollywood)
  • 1928 The Canary Murder Case directed by Malcolm St. Clair, with William Powell, Jean Arthur and James Hall (Paramount, Hollywood)
  • 1929 Pandora's Box directed by G.W. Pabst, with Fritz Kortner and Franz (Francis) Lederer (Nero Films, Berlin)
  • 1929 Diary of a Lost Girl directed by G.W. Pabst, with Fritz Rasp and Valeska Gert (Hom-Film, Berlin)
  • 1930 Prix de Beaute (Miss Europe) directed by Augusto Genina, based on a script by Rene Clair (Sofar Films, Paris)
  • 1931 Windy Riley Goes to Hollywood directed by William Goodrich4 (Educational, Hollywood)
  • 1931 It Pays to Advertise directed by Frank Tuttle, with Carol Lombard and Norman Foster (Paramount, Hollywood)
  • 1931 God's Gift to Women directed by Michael Curtiz, with Frank Fay and Laura La Plante (Warner Bros., Hollywood)
  • 1936 Empty Saddles directed by Lesley Selender, with Buck Jones (Universal, Hollywood)
  • 1937 King of Gamblers directed by Robert Florey, with Claire Trevor and Lloyd Nolan (Paramount, Hollywood)
  • 1937 When You're in Love directed by Robert Riskin, with Grace Moore and Cary Grant (Columbia)
  • 1938 Overland Stage Riders directed by George Sherman, with John Wayne (Republic, Hollywood)
  • Articles by Louise Brooks

  • 1956 'Mr Pabst,' Image, George Eastman House, Rochester, N.Y., vol.5, Sept. 7.
  • 1959 'Gish and Garbo' Sight and Sound, London, Winter 1958-1959.
  • 1963 'Zazu Pitts,' Objectif, Montreal, August.
  • 1964 'Alas ich mit Pabst arbeitete (When I worked with Pabst),' Munchener Photo and Film Museum, December.
  • 1964 'Filmography - Positive and Negative,' Objectif, Montreal, April.
  • 1964 'Louise Brooks, par elle-meme (in her own words),' Objectif, Montreal, April.
  • 1965 'Pabst and Lulu,' Sight and Sound, London, Summer.
  • 1966 'Marlene,' Positif, Paris, No.75, May.
  • 1966 'Letter to Andrew Sarris,' English cahiers du Cinema, New York, No.3.
  • 1966 'Charlie Chaplin Remembered,' Film Culture, New York, No.40,Spring.
  • 1966 'Buster Keaton,' Double Exposure, Delacorte Press.
  • 1967 'Humphrey and Bogey,' Sight and Sound, London, Winter, 1966-1967; French trans. Positif, Paris, No.81, Febuary.
  • 1968 'On Location with Billy Wellmann,' London Magazine, London, May; French trans. Positif, Paris, No.114, March.
  • 1971 'L'Autre Visage de W.C. Fields,' Positif, Paris, No.125.
  • 1971 'The other face of W.C. Fields,' Sight and Sound, London, Spring.
  • 1971 'Pabst and Lulu - Pandora's Box,' Lorrimer, Simon and Schuster.
  • 1972 'Actors and the Pabst spirit,' Focus on Film, London, No.8, Febuary.
  • 1974 'Marion Davies' Niece,' Film Culture, Nos.58-60, October.
  • 1975 'Stardom and Evelyn Brent,' Toronto Film Society Program, January.
  • 1975 'Duke by Divine Right,' introduction to John Wayne, by Allen Ayles.
  • 1982 'A Certain Kind of Freedom,' in Louise Brooks: Portrait d'une Anti-Star, edited by Roland Jaccard.
  • 1982 'Kansas to New York,' Lulu in Hollywood by Louise Brooks
  • 5

    Further Reading

    There are several sites devoted to Louise Brooks on the web. The two that follow are very good and have numerous links to other sites.

    Louise Brooks Society

    Every Little Breeze, The Louise Brooks page

    For information on her film career the following is useful.

    Louise Brooks on the Internet Movie Database

    The following are interesting articles about her.

    The Girl in the Black Helmet by Kenneth Tynan.

    American Venus by Frank Thompson.

    'The Intense Isolation of Louise Brooks' by James Card.

    1Alberto Vargas was then the official painter for the Ziegfeld Follies. He later became well-known for producing illustrations used in many U.S. post-war advertisements and for pin-ups that appeared in Esquire and Playboy.2In a letter to her friend, Lotte H. Eisner, who she first met in 1929 when Eisner was a contributing editor of the 'Film-Kurier' of Berlin, a daily newspaper devoted to film and theatre.3Later to become Paramount Pictures.4Actually Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle using an alias.5Lulu in Hollywood is a collection of essays by Louise Brooks.'Kansas to New York' is the only one that had not been published prior to the appearance of Lulu in Hollywood.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A2611900

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more