A Conversation for A Religious Rant

I respond, as is my civic duty

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Guilty as charged for avoiding discussion on the political aspects. However, I feel that this subject would have entailed an entire article unto itself. The purpose of the article was not to present Jesus as I see him, but merely to demystify him as Christians see him. I'm currently contemplating an article that does this; that shows Jesus as I interpret him, from the New Testament, Nag Hammadi codices, and what I know of the history of the early Christian Era.

Guilty as well for the summary dismissal of the Torah. However, it is NOT that I think it is an unimportant document in the history of that area, for that would be an incredibly false statement. But it's impact on Christian thought is very unimportant, and it was the theology I was attacking. Aside from the creation myth, and the Ten Commandments, none of the rules in the Old Testament are practiced by Christians today. The historical sections are studied, but only as any other history would be. They also accept the myths of Noah, Moses, David & Goliath, Samson & Delilah, Jonah & the whale, and Sodom & Gomorrah as fact, but there's no real impact on the Christian worldview from these myths. Or at least, none nearly so marked as that of the myths of Jesus.

The article really just scratches the surface. There is tons more material to be written here. But in order to be well received, the demystification has to take place. Only then can rational discourses on Jesus' true identity, life, mission, etc. be undertaken.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A Religious Rant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more