A Conversation for Mistaken Song Lyrics

Another Top Cat

Post 1

GoTo's Whimsey

Close friends get to call him "T.C."/Providing he's with them, you see.
Song: Top Cat Theme
Artist: Hanna-Barbera
Real Lyric: Close friends get to call him "T.C."/Providing it's with dignity./Top Cat!
Origin: Me. I've *always* thought that was the lyric.


Another Top Cat

Post 2

fantastictopcat

Dear 'Another Top Cat',
I believe that I have worked out the correct lyrics.
Everyone over 35 years old remembers that the Top Cat theme music had some muffled lines - and no-one knew what they were... even Hanna-Barbera didn't when the BBC asked them in the early 80s.
WELL:
I believe that the real lyrics to the Top Cat (Boss Cat) theme are NOT "Close friends get to call him TC, providing it's with dignity" BUT RATHER "Close friends get to call at TC, providing it's with invitee"
Invitee is a US slang for an invitation.
As the original lyrics were re-recorded from guesswork in the 80s, and Hoyt Curtin NEVER wrote them down, the 'dignity' myth has stuck as all the Videos and CDs carry the new re-recording.
I know the h2g2 researcher 'ANNA' had some references to this ((page (A249842) )) which covers mistaken song lyrics... to which you posted further discussion in June 2002 and so I wanted to add my passionate view. I feel absolutely certain about this, from the day I heard the word "invitee" casually by an American.
You may recall the kids programme 'The Saturday Picture Show' in the early 80s held a competition to guess the lyrics after Hanna-Barbera acknowledged they had no idea what the words were.
Your thoughts???
Love, Fantastictopcat






Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more