Punkvoter.com: American Politics for the Jaded and Disillusioned

2 Conversations

For any United States citizen politics is a confusing business. Especially so for those who live alternative lifestyles. Well good news, there is an answer: http://www.punkvoter.com/. Fat Mike, the lead singer of the punk band NOFX, has collaborated with his fellow punkers and miscellaneous degenerates to start a website targeted for those who have lost faith with the American political system. The site is one of the first to preach voting and participation among those who have never thought they had a voice.

Already the site has had massive success. The original goal was to get 500,000 young people to register to vote. They now have that many hits per day. Now think about this. In Florida George W. won by hundreds of votes, not hundreds of thousands. As Fat Mike says, "if only 6000 NOFX fans had voted in Florida Bush wouldn't have won."

Punkvoter has already affected the political community. Urban Outfitters, a trendy alternative clothing store, recalled a shirt that said, "Voting is for old people." The shirt was approved by the owner of U.O. who is a large contributor to the republican party. Punkvoter.com started the outcry that ended with the shirt being pulled from the shelves.

It features articles written by members of the punk community such as Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedys, Jim Lindberg from Pennywise and Jay Bentley from Bad Religion, Punkvoter is a great site for those Americans who are outraged by politics and want to know what they can do. As Jello says in his article, "I'm all for insurrection in the street. But it doesn't accomplish much without insurrection at the ballot box. So why not use it?"

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2483192

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more