Ethelwulf, King of England

0 Conversations

(c.795-858)

Son of King Egbert and his frankish wife Raedburh. Made sub-king of Kent, Essex, Sussex and Surrey about 825. Succeeded to the throne of England in839. His sub kingship passed to his Younger brother Athelstan.

Married around 830 Osburga a daughter of Ealdorman Oslac of Hampshire. She bore him four sons who all became King
Ethelbald, Etelbert, Ethelred I,Alfred the Great
their daughter Ethelswith married in 853 to Burhred King of Mercia, soon after this event Osburga died leading to the start of the brother's reigns.

The recently widowed Ethelwulf left the kingdom to his eldest son Ethelbald and went on pilgrimage to Rome taking with him his youngest son Alfred. They were received by Pope Leo IV who confirmed Alfred 1
. Whilst returning they stopped at the court of King Charles the Bald, of the Franks where Ethelwulf took Charles 12 or 13 year old
daughter as his second wife. She was later to marry her step-son Ethelbald.

Ethelwulf returned fit but had died a little over a year later on 13 January 858. He was originally buried at Steyning, Sussex but now lies at Winchester.

1Not as Alfred's biographer was to tell a consecration fit for a future King, after all he still had three elder brothers alive.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A245161

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more