Ethelbald, Ethelbert, Ethelred I, Kings of England

0 Conversations

These were the eldest three sons of
Ethelwulf and Osburga and all reigned before their more famous brother Alfred.

Ethelbald, d. 860

Ethelbald was left in charge while his father went on his pilgrimage of mourning for his wife to Rome. On his father's return though he fell in love with his new young bride, Judith daughter of Charles the Bald. He married her the year his father died which greatly upset the church. He died two years later having be forced to give her up. He's burried at Sherbourne Abbey.

Ethelbert, d. 865

Little is known of poor Ethelbert though he reigned as sub-king in Kent, Essex, Sussex and Surrey, as his father had done before, suceeding his brother for a reign of 5 years. Dying presumably unmarried and also buried at Sherbourne.

Ethelred I, d. 871

Spent all his time ruling on the battlefield, fending of the marauding Danes, assisted by younger brother Alfred. He was married to Wulfthryth and had two sons, Ethelhelm and Ethelwold. However as they were both children when he was fatally wounded in the battle of Merton they were deemed too young to be king leading to the reign of Alfred instead. He is buried at Wimbourne Abbey.

Of the sons Ethelhelm is rumoured to have been the man who become Bishop of Wells in 909 and Archbishop of Canterbury in 914, dying in 923. Ethelwold rebelled against his cousin Edward the Elder, but was killed in 904 while trying to usurp the throne.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A246511

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more