A Conversation for Frank Herbert's Dune Universe

A2Z of Dune...?

Post 1

Awix

If you're really intent on a full A to Z of the Duniverse, you're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din. I mean, *how* many pages are there in total? I feel quite ill just thinking about it...


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 2

Courtesy38

Total? I would have to guess at around 3,000 pages smiley - smiley

I figure it will give me something to do, and it will be a great excuse to have to re-read them smiley - smiley I doubt I will go to the level to the Dune Encyclopedia, which is out of print, but I would like it to be complete.

Thanks for stopping by,
Courtesy


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 3

Bluebottle

Congratulations! This page is now officially one of my favourites, with a link from:
http://www.h2g2.com/A230509

BTW - could you have Toto under T as they did a great soundtrack?


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 4

Courtesy38

Blue -

Thanks for the link, I'm glad you like it. If you have any suggestions I will gladly take them. I will have to think about Toto smiley - smiley

Oh and welcome back.

Courtesy


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 5

Bluebottle

Thanks. If there's anything to do with Dune, let me know. One of my all time favourite book series, film, games and soundtracks (and the model/toys aren't bad too... smiley - winkeye )

<BB<


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 6

Deirved

Excellent choice of article smiley - smiley . I'd love to be of assistance, if I may. First impressions? Well, the initial definitions do seem to concentrate rather on the First book. If you're intent on providing a glossary of the Dune Universe, then things like the Bene gesserit cover a lot more temporal ground than the early days of the Atreides. So far there's no mention of such essentials as Gholas, Honoured Matres, The Scattering and Famine Times or even of Leto II who's probably the pivotal figure of the whole series. I'd be happy to make a few suggestions on such things or even to attempt to write a few from scratch myself if you'd like, just to get the ball rolling, cos I think we could expand this into something *really* cool and as you mention definitive. Would you like suggestions here or elsewhere?


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 7

Courtesy38

Thanks for the input. smiley - smiley

I have actually read all the books and believe that God Emperor is the best of the bunch, except for Dune of course smiley - winkeye

When I was putting together the page, I was unsure how much information should be put into each piece as some information is spoiler. Having had time to think about it I believe it should be expanded to include everything!

Please contact me at [email protected]. I will courteously smiley - smiley give you credit for all information you bring.

Courtesy


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 8

Martin Harper

My favourite part of the Dune series is the "Litany against Fear" of the Bene Gesserit - I've taken to saying it myself on those tense moments when I could do with a little supernatural help.... Anyway, there's an article at http://www.h2g2.com/A338096 for it... smiley - winkeye


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 9

Courtesy38

Thanks for the link, I will put it up on my page in a couple of hours.

So what is your favorite Dune novel?

Courtesy


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 10

Martin Harper

I'm not actually sure - I got all the novels out from the library together, and read them all at once, only leaving my room to eat. It took me about a week of solid reading, so I was completely immersed in the story by the end of it, and had a hard time seperating reality from fiction. Ahh, the joys of being a small kid, eh? Sadly, the upshot is that I can't really split the story up into books - it's just one continuous narrative flow in my mind...


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 11

Courtesy38

Ahh, I wish I had done it that way smiley - smiley I read them all in a row, just with several weeks spacing, and other books in between.

I have gone back and read them all together in a monster two week marathon, I just love getting into Herbert's universe smiley - smiley

My favorites are the original Dune, which ends with the Sardukar defeat on Arrakis, and God Emperor of Dune, which deals with Leto II and his millenia reign as Emperor of the Known Universe smiley - smiley

Courtesy


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 12

Bluebottle

I read them all in one go too - I had to, as I've long discovered how annoying it is if you're reading a series and you get to the end of one book, you need to know what happens next, but you don't have the book. So the books are a little blurred to me too, especially "Heretics" and "Chapter-House". But I agree that "Dune" is my favourite, followed by "God Emperor", followed by "Dune Messiah" - I just feel that it's a very unique view in that to show how the vision has been distorted, and especially Stilgar's decline.
As for "Prelude to Dune" - it is definately a lot weaker than the other books by a very long way, no-one can deny that, but I cannot dislike it.


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 13

Courtesy38

smiley - smiley

I can respect that Blue.

Courtesy


A2Z of Dune...?

Post 14

Bluebottle

BTW - I've written an article on the film version of Dune. I'd like to know what you think:
http://www.h2g2.com/A443684


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more