Les Carneval

1 Conversation

The sign on the carnival entrance said: “Welcome to the Desolation of the Mind”.

I stepped in heartless, curiosity overcoming my distaste. A sea of faces washed uncomprehendingly over me; arms and legs dancing an insane tango. Perfect men and women, with perfect bodies and perfect hair and perfect clothes, walked a perfect gait, said perfect things in the perfect language, ate perfect food with perfect relish, found perfectly beautiful artefacts in perfectly exotic stalls and gave them perfect appreciation. I choked. Here were men and women, polished as a mirror, so that when you looked in, all that was to be found were reflections. There was no inside. ‘Inside’ had been thrown away – why keep something that wouldn’t be noticed? Spirits flowed freely, and the sky was drunk. “Free for a price! Free for a price!” said the hawker. “Step in for Happiness – all kinds available” said his sign. The sannyasi* with his gold earring and Gucci watch was selling rose-oil scented spirituality for those who wanted it applied behind their ears in the mornings. “Come my son,” he said, “this will raise your soul to heaven, and all your karma will be washed away.” I ran away, my karma safe. Here was Reason, driftwood in a stormy sea of Passion. I felt like flotsam washed upon the beach – out of place, far away from home, barnacled and covered with the weeds that entangle unwary travellers to the ocean’s deep. I walked outside and peered in, and all I could hear was silence. And the sea rolled on as it had ever since…


*

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2434583

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more