A Conversation for h2g2 Historical Society

Yet more of my Kings

Post 81

Demon Drawer

I've just done a sweep through the early Kentish Kings 640-798 that's Eorcenberht- Ealhmund. at

http://www.h2g2.com/A255782

and the history of a radio institution Just a Minute at

http://www.h2g2.com/A255539


Yet more of my Kings

Post 82

Researcher 93445

One more for the people section: http://www.h2g2.com/A255980 on Henry Martyn Robert.


Yet more of my Kings

Post 83

Mustapha

Great stuff, guys! Keep it up!


Yet more of my Kings

Post 84

Demon Drawer

Don't worry me and ffm will.


Yet more of my Kings

Post 85

Dazinho

A256259 is the reference of the first in my projected series of investigations of the possible origins of The Shroud of Turin. It's imaginitively titled, 'The Shroud of Turin I', which took me longer to come up with than the essay itself. I think there's something for everyone - amateur historians, physicists and chemists, religious crackpots and fundamentalists, and people that just like to argue with complete strangers.

Please email your death threats to...


Oo-er, it's quite long...

Post 86

Dazinho

Editorial constructive criticism accepted, Mustapha. It shall be pruned!

Does a theory as to how Atlantis still exists today come under the auspices of the Historical Society? If so, my brief (ha! as if!) theory can be found at A256394.


Oo-er, it's quite long...

Post 87

Demon Drawer

I think that as all history is somewhat subjective I would allow it. But then my Fotball Hooliganism entry stands as a presiding example.


Oo-er, it's quite long...

Post 88

Mustapha

I think I might have mentioned things like Atlantis earlier this forum CD. My position is this: whether or not the thing physically exists, the belief in it is definitely real, and has obviously changed and evolved over time.

Take the Loch Ness monster for example: No conclusive proof of its existence, despite hundreds of attempts to find it. On the other hand, people have ben claiming for centuries that it exists. St Columba is supposed to have seen it 1500 years ago. That's historical.


And another

Post 89

Researcher 93445

History of Cigarette Manufacturing, http://www.h2g2.com/A257014


And another

Post 90

Mustapha

And getting more historical every day from the sound of various American lawsuits.


And another

Post 91

Demon Drawer

Well that's definately history in Californian.


And another

Post 92

Researcher 93445

I would do an article on the history of stupidity in United States jurisprudence, only I don't think H2G2 has enough space available on their servers to store that. I fully expect to see the entire system break down and need to be reformulated some time in the next decade as all big companies are sued out of business by dubious product liability class-action suits. And to think that this used to be the land of individual responsibility.

*Harumph*


And another

Post 93

Mustapha

Don't be too dismissive of that oh-so American right to sue. NZers had the right to sue for accident compensation taken away from them over 20 yrs ago, and placed in the hands and red tape of a government department. Now victims are forced to leap through bureaucratic rings to prove that they truly are disabled.

Like most welfare departments, they have a policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ie if you can't be bothered to ask what you're entitled to, we're under no obligation to tell you. Deserving individuals have been stiffed for hundreds of thousands.


And another

Post 94

Researcher 93445

Oh, I know the NZ system is broken as well, but that doesn't make the US system any less broken. I could go off into a long rant about the latest round of "product liability" cases being produced by the lawyers who did all the tobacco suing, but perhaps we'll just save that for a thread where it's more germane.


and yet more history

Post 95

Elico

Can I submit my article on The Man in the Iron Mask to the ever increasing collection of historical guides? You can find it at http://www.h2g2.com/A258266


and yet more history

Post 96

Demon Drawer

Following his recent passing I've added an article on Charles M. Schulz the creator and cartoonist of Peanuts.

http://www.h2g2.com/A264593


and yet more history

Post 97

Bluebottle

Also the railways on the Island on:
http://www.h2g2.com/A265060


and yet more history, but mixed with madness

Post 98

Dazinho

http://www.h2g2.com/A265358 for a history of Insanity as a legal defence.


and yet more history, but mixed with madness

Post 99

Mustapha

Great stuff, guys! Since I have gone through the existing list of Approved Guide Entries, I'll have to rely on you guys to point me to such new Entries.

BTW CD have you read Michel Foucault's "Madness and Civilization"?


and yet more history, but mixed with madness

Post 100

Demon Drawer

On a scientific bent a short article on Absolute Zero

http://www.h2g2.com/A245486


Key: Complain about this post