A Conversation for Walsall Arboretum, West Midlands

thank you

Post 1

serenity

Thank you for such an interesting and revealing piece about this area of Walsall.

I was bought up on an estate, not far from Barr Beacon and spent many a happy hour in the arboretum.

From an early age, my brother and I were taken as toddlers to see the lights(1959ish - onwards) Armed with a bag full of breadcrumbs for the ducks and another bag full of pennies for the collection boxes that were scattered around the park. These were for voluntary donations towards the upkeep of the illuminations.

Then as teens(1974ish), we used to go with the 'group' that we were part of at that point, but we concentrated on the few amusements that were there, more than the actual lighting displays. As teens do.

Then again as new parents(1982ish), showing our own children, the lights in the winter and spending time at the paddling pool and swings at the far end of the park, in the summer time.

The last time I went to see the illuminations was couple of years ago(now aged 45ish), as part of a coach party. To cope with the crowds, a system had now been bought into play.
Park the coach miles away and stand in queues for ages and then catch a shuttle bus to the entrance.
This was the year of 'bob the builder'. We didnt have 'celebrities' when I was a child. there were also many laser type lighting displays. I suppose its all in the name of progress, but it didnt have the same feeling for me, unless its the 'age' thing kicking in.

Im now of an age to appreciate the surroundings of the park more than the lights and maybe in the future, I will be able to make another trip in the daylight to see what the darkness has been hiding.

helensmiley - rose







thank you

Post 2

Detective Sergeant Pepper

It's good to hear first hand experiences of things like this. I discovered the Arboretum quite late. I have lived in Birmingham all my life (44 years so far) but only visited the Arboretum for the first time about ten years ago.

Most of the information in my article is from second-hand research, so it's nice to hear that people really do have pleasant memories of it. It's one of my two favourite parks in the area - the other being Sutton Park.

smiley - cheers


thank you

Post 3

Researcher U634370

I live quite near the Arboretum and have spent many happy days there particularly in the summer smiley - smiley it's a firm favourite with the kids.

Your article is very informative and a very worthwhile entry to the guide, it certainly taught me a few things I did not know!

I am currently involved in consultation to put extra facilities into the play area for children with disabilities and adequate changing facilities for children/adults.

The Arboretum is definately the smiley - rose of Walsall.

Best wishes

BD smiley - fish


thank you

Post 4

serenity

hi bothsmiley - smiley

I lived for the first 22 years on the Pheasey Estate.

Both Barr Beacon and Sutton Park were high on my list of play areas, along with the Arboretum.

This was in the days when it was the done thing to get a bag full of sandwiches, a bottle of pop and cycle all over the place, not getting home until it was time for tea. I was about 10 at the time.

Later on, in my teens we used to go swimming at Wyndley baths and always walk home through the park. it used to take us ages, but it was in the days when it was safe enough to walk anywahere.

hsmiley - rose








thank you

Post 5

Researcher U634370

Hi-ya H

Thought that's were you were talking about the Pheasey smiley - biggrin. Just talking to the other half about safety etc.

Shame the smiley - earth is like it is when it could be so much better.

Lots of smiley - peacedove

BD smiley - fish


thank you

Post 6

serenity

Hi BDsmiley - smiley

Yes, that was my old stamping ground as a child.

I lived near to the old peoples home in Gainsbourough Crescent. it used to be out playground, till they built it.
We also used to go to Doe Bank Lane playing fields.

I used to go to Raeburn Road Infants and Junior school and then went on to Aldridge Grammar as it was known then.
My brother went to Doe Bank Lane Infants and Juniors and then to Barr Beacon Comp.

As you know where im talking about, its easier to get it across to yousmiley - smiley

helensmiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more