A Conversation for Talking Point: World Without Frontiers

Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 1

JumpinJane

... and no religion too.

I know it ain't going to happen, but wouldn't it be great?

Racism would disappear. Countries sqabbling over bits of land would cease. An end to Duty Free goods. No Euro politics. No Foreign Office in the Government, nor a Ministry of Defence, probably. We'd not not have to fluff the words to the National Anthem. Terry Wogan would loose his job commentating on the Eurovision Song Contest.

No Ronaldo at the World Cup. No cities competing to host the Olympics. No more Jamaican bob sleigh teams. Not having to pretend to be interested in curling. No Williams' sisters winning a Wimbledon tennis championship over and over.

No glorioulsy triumphant England rugby team holding the Web Ellis Trophy aloft in front of a defeated home Aussie crowd to the tumultuous applause of their supporters, while millions at home watch on TV, their eyes filled with tears of joy.

Aah. Perhps it's not such a good thing then!!


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 2

2 of 3

what makes you think people would stop competing?
Sports and music competitions would still go on as they do within countries.

2/3


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 3

Wojit

I don't think freedom of imigration would lead to the end of nationalism, though I also don't think it would be a bad thing if it did.

Though I do suppose it would create something of a shift from people identifying themselves by their nationality or home country to people identifying themselves by their culture, or even their common interests, which I personally think would be a Good Thing.


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 4

2 of 3

Look at the EU. There is freedom of immigration. Yet people still compete, still identify themselves as Spanish, French, Portuguese. Even within the UK which is ONE country and has been for centuries they compete. England v Scotland in rugby yeserday. Wales v scotland in football last week. Yet people still say I'm Welsh, Scottish etc.

2/3


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 5

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

That's because they aren't one country. (In my ignorant opinion.)

smiley - boing


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 6

2 of 3

The UK (Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland and England)is one country. Been that way for centuries. One head of state (Tony Blair), one vote in the UN.

For the UK to be more than 1 country then the US would be 50 countries. After all they have 50 state governments each with control over their little patch. Completely different laws and all!

And b4 you say about competing in sports. You only get 1 team in the Olympics. And its nothing to do with government.

2/3


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 7

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

'One head of state (Tony Blair)'

Please tell me this is meant to be ironic.


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 8

F F Churchton

Yeah, last time I checked this was a constituential monarchy. I know the constitution is under review but...


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 9

2 of 3

I stand corrected.

The Queen (monarch) is the head of state.

But my main point still stands!
The UK is one country.

2/3


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 10

F F Churchton

'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' according to my passport!!!


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 11

2 of 3

Good on you Admiral!

Yes. UK for short! Who can be arsed to right all that!

See post 6. I know which territories are included!


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 12

2 of 3

Good on you Admiral!

Yes. UK for short! Who can be arsed to write all that!

See post 6. I know which territories are included!


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 13

F F Churchton

Although I think Cornwall and the North East are both getting there own regional assemblies which will confuse things!!!


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 14

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Again, I said ignorant. I was basing this opinion on the knowledge that Scotland revolted from England (or tried to at least, I don't know for sure if they were successful) back in Medeival times.

smiley - boing


Nothing to Live or Die For ...

Post 15

F F Churchton

I don't know, ask the reincarnation of William Wallace over there!!!


Key: Complain about this post