Gonorrhea (The Clap)

1 Conversation

What is Gonorrhea?

Gonorrhea, commonly called the "clap", is a sexually transmitted infection caused by bacteria. It is the most common reportable sexually transmitted infection in the United States.

The nickname of "the clap" refers to a treatment used to clear the urethra of bacteria blocking urination, where the penis would be "clapped" on both sides simultaneously. This treatment is rarely used today, however the nomenclature remains.

How is it Spread?

Gonorrhea is spread by direct person to person contact. It is almost always transmitted through sexual contact. Gonorrhea can occur in the reproductive organs, urethra, rectum and throat. The most common sites are the urethra in males and the genital tract in females. It is also possible for pregnant women to pass the bacteria to their infant during birth. Gonorrhea can not be passed by kissing, however the bacteria can be passed from hand to hand.

Because it is easy to be infected unaware, and easy to pass gonorrhea to a partner, it should be the responsiblity of any sexually active person to be reguarly tested for gonorrhea and other sexually transmitted diseases.

How Do I Know If I Am Infected?

Because symptoms are not always present, you may be infected with gonorrhea and not know it. You can be tested for gonorrhea at Student Health Services. To test for gonorrhea, the physician will use a cotton swab to collect cells from your genitals.

What Are The Symptoms?

If present, symptoms appear within 2 to 14 days. Fifty percent of persons with gonorrhea may show no symptoms. Men are more likely than women to show signs of infection.



Gonorrhea in Men:
  • Painful urination
  • Creamy or green, pus-like penile discharge
  • Testicular pain
Gonorrhea in Women:
  • Creamy or green, pus-like vaginal discharge
  • Painful urination
  • Bleeding between periods
  • Excessive bleeding during menstrual period
  • Painful intercourse
  • Lower abdominal pain
Signs of Rectal infection:
  • Itching
  • Creamy, pus-like discharge
  • Rectal bleeding
  • Pain
  • Constipation

Are There Any Long Term Complications?

When treated early, there are no long term consequences of gonorrhea. Serious complications can result, however, when left untreated.

Long term complications in men may include:

  • Epididymitis - an inflammation of the testicles that can cause sterility

Long term complications in women include:

  • Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - an ascending infection that spreads from the vagina and cervix to the uterus and fallopian tubes. PID can lead to sterility.
  • Abscesses
  • Ectopic pregnancy - a pregnancy outside of the uterus
  • Perihepatitis - an infection around the liver
  • Sterility
  • Gonorrhea can be transmitted to newborns.

Approximately 2% of persons with untreated gonorrhea may develop Disseminated Gonococcal Infection (DGI). This is characterized by fever, skin lesions and arthritis type pain.

How Is Gonorrhea Treated?

Gonorrhea can be treated with antibiotics. It is important that all of the antibiotics are taken as prescribed, and that the infected person refrain from sexual intercourse during treatment. Proper hand washing is essential. The bacteria can be transferred to the eyes.

All sex partners should be informed to seek treatment. Because gonorrhea can be silent, they may not show symptoms until long term consequences have occurred.

How Can I Protect Myself?

Abstinence from both genital and oral sex is the only way to be 100% sure that you are protected from gonorrhea and other sexually transmitted infections.

If you are sexually active, you can lower your risk by following these guidelines:

  • Use condoms. Although condoms do not provide perfect protection, they do provide the best protection available. Condoms should be used for vaginal, anal, and oral intercourse.
  • Form a monogamous relationship in which both you and your partner are faithful to each other at all times. Do not engage in sexual intimacy until both of you have been tested.
  • Limit your number of partners. Your risk of acquiring gonorrhea and other STD's increases as your number of partners increases.
  • Regular check-ups. STD testing should be part of your regular exam. Do not wait for symptoms to appear. You should see your health care provider regularly if you or your partner have other sexual contacts.
  • DO NOT BECOME SEXUALLY INTIMATE WHEN DRINKING ALCOHOL OR USING OTHER DRUGS. Drugs reduce your ability to make sensible decisions*.

Information on other diseases can be found here.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A230716

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more