Anti aliasing

0 Conversations


Anti aliasing


Sorry for monosyllable only readers, I do not know a more common word for it. It has to do with the little squares you see sometimes in images, or the funny cartoon like voices you hear on the telephone. Anti aliasing is the technique to mask these squares.


Human perception is funny. Anyone familair with photographs, television and vanishing points in drawings will as soon as the image suggests there is depth see it. This is also the case in seeing shapes on a computer screen. Nobody cares about the 's' not being round but staircase shaped. However, in drawings we can make use of the anti aliasing technique to make curves more curved.



An S made of

single sized blocks

An S made of

blocks in two sizes


We need more colours


The previous example is not quite good, I will have to redo it using BGCOLOR. We need more colours. This is one of the disadvantages of anti aliasing. Trying to pump up the resolution we have to use the other domain. The colour depth in the big block 'S' is two, if we increase this to five it should be Ok.



An 

made of

single colour blocks

An 

made of

blocks in four colours


Bottom line: 'Whatever we do in digitising information, it is up to the human perception to interpretate it.'


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2280395

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more