A Conversation for The Digibox Users Petition.

PETITION IDEAS

Post 1

Dragon Lord back with avengence

This is where all your ideas can come.


PETITION IDEAS

Post 2

Boxing Baboon (half here an half there )

beware digi box user is posting sign? so them on p.c know troubles just about to happen .as if


PETITION IDEAS

Post 3

angelicaheaven

I've been a digi box user nearly a year in March, aswell as Stuart and Carol.
We haven't caused any trouble on here at all.


PETITION IDEAS

Post 4

Diddy!

Hi Dragon Lord smiley - smiley

I think you're petition idea is great but i would advise against sending to telewest if there is no need to. It might might bring their attention towards this site n if they see all the threads about bandwidth thieving they might change their mind about us using this site n do something about it.

They might not be able to sto stop the link but if they think we're abusing our agreement with telewest they might stop our subscription with telewest digital tv altogether. Ok this is an extreme case n most likely won't happen but i dut i don't want tellewest seeing the bad press we've been having with regards to certain users on here (you know who i mean smiley - smiley )





I will support the petition tho as i'm a digibox user n would be loe lost without this site so i don't want to see an end of the enjoyment we're all having.

God i don't half waffle don't i smiley - laugh

Just ignore me most people do smiley - rofl


PETITION IDEAS

Post 5

Researcher 178815

I've gathered some quotes from the petition thread, and reposted them here, with my responses, in respect of your 'petition' idea of only posting votes in favour of your petition to that thread.

"hello scott im in a agreement with you all .if digi box users are banned p.c users should be banned .infact lets shut down h2g2 alltogether"

My focus here is on the 'infact lets shut down h2g2 alltogether' part. Let me know if I need say more.

"I would like to ask if digibox users aren`t welcome on h2g2 then why has so much time and effort been spent on on setting up the `Plain Skin` for digibox users"

Along with...

"As one of you has mentioned, If H2G2 had a problem with the 'Magic e-mail', then why have they and are at present, spending MONEY to try and improve the system to make it easier for digibox users."

My response:
It is not BBCi's or h2g2's problem. No matter what Telewest's decision, BBCi/DNA sites are not going to appeal, or be necessarily bothered by it. I believe they will continue to develop their compatibility workarounds such as the Plain skin, for /actual/ Internet TV systems out there. Bush have one going, and there are a few others around, too.

BBCi/h2g2 are only going to forward on information which they think Telewest should know about, for investigation on Telewest's side, if anything; They're not going to take part in your petition, either for, or against.

They might, however say something along the lines of, "BBCi is a free, open forum for all members of the public to access, and we welcome everybody to take part in our community sites. However where we believe users to be taking part in what seems to be illegal activity, the relevant companies should be informed"; Such is my opinion.

BBCi is spending so much time, effort and in most cases, money, on developing a WebTV platform because there /are/ WebTV users out there with a legitimate Web-based TV system. WebTV is not synonymous with Telewest. If they believe enough users to be using a WebTV system, then they will do what they can to allow those people access to its services.

"I think h2g2 would be practicaly none existant without the input of users who found the site via digibox"

This has been answered in another thread, but more realistically, h2g2 would not exist if it were not for the 'founding fathers', if you will, such as Douglas Adams, Jim Lynn, et al - in fact, it would not be in existence if it were not for the idea of The Digitial Village, most likely.

On the whole, h2g2 would be non existent if it were not also, for its researchers, as a collective group. Personally I believe the earlier members (those who have been here from the start, and who are even now still here) to be the most productive to h2g2, maybe because they feel more passionate about h2g2, and what input that passion implies, but to say that /any group/ of researchers keep the site alive is realistically, crass. It is because of the ongoing development of h2g2 and the input of h2g2 Researchers -- that's /all/ its Researchers -- I believe, that h2g2 is still here today.

"telewest will lose there sites they gave us such as cnn, itn, and various others,that they have as part of the news section of our service."

If Telewest bring <./>/dna/</.>, for one, into its firewall, then http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/... will be inaccessible. CNN, ITN and other various news services are not on the www.bbc.co.uk domain, without mentioning it residing on the <./>/dna/</.> directory. Therefore, the ITN, Teletext, CNN, et al services will remain accessible.

I've made this post trying to remain as 'neutral of offensive opinion', and as plainly informative as possible, and please note that I've not once said in this post that 'I hate 100% of digibox users', as has been implied by reponses in similar threads. So I aplogise if my opinion have brought about any offence.

Thank you


PETITION IDEAS

Post 6

Researcher 178815

"They might, however say something along the lines of, "BBCi is a free, open forum for all members of the public to access, and we welcome everybody to take part in our community sites. However where we believe users to be taking part in what seems to be illegal activity, the relevant companies should be informed"; Such is my opinion."

I should mention that this is not necessarily the BBC's opinion, and I do not speak for the BBC when I say it.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Digibox Users Petition.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more