China's fate, another Taiping Rising?

2 Conversations

Dynasty's End

Chinese tradition states that when a dynasty has lost "the mandate of heaven," its end is heralded by natural disasters, such as earthquakes, floods and famine. But it is also heralded by portents such as comets, and by the rise of "heretical beliefs," such as Falun Gong1.

The savagery with which Falun Gong continues to be suppressed in China has a non-rational ferocity about it, a brutality and determination seemingly out of all proportion to the apparent threat posed by a group of people who proclaim their belief in "Zhen, Shan, Ren," the Buddhist virtues of Truth, Forbearance and Compassion. China has an acute sense of history, and the rise of Falun Gong, commanding an estimated 70 million followers in China (where the Chinese Communist Party claims 60 million members), and 30 million abroad, must cause a chill amongst the Beijing oligarchs who will be familiar with the devastation following the Taiping Rising of 1850 - 1865. The bloodiest civil war ever, and one of the world's most lethal wars, it claimed 20 to 40 million lives2.

The sheer numbers slaughtered in the course of the Taiping Rising seem scarcely credible, until it is remembered that the Chinese way in dealing with renegades was to slaughter every member of the culprit's family, to the ninth degree of consanguinuity, including all women, children and babies. On occasion, this could even include reprisals against one's ancestors. Thus Chiang Kai-Shek had Mao's parents disinterred, and their remains scattered. Nationalist reprisals against the Red Army's supporters on the Hunan-Hebei border left a mere 10,000 people alive out of a population of 1 million.

The Taiping Rising

The Taiping Rising was directed against the Manchu Qing (pr.Ching) dynasty, led by a Hakka3 Christian convert, Hong Xiuquan, from South China's Guangdong province. He awoke from a dream in 1837 to declare that God had proclaimed him "His younger son, the brother of Christ."

Hong preached against the corruption of the Manchu Qing court and its minions, against decadent Daoism, Buddhism and Confucianism. He opposed foreign encroachment as much as domestic weakness under the Qing, and sought to lead China back to a pre-Confucian monotheism, with the biblical God as the common ancestor, in an earthly Kingdom of Heaven with peace and equality for all. Hong proclaimed a moral revival with a strong line on biblical sin, (heaven and hell awaiting in the afterlife,) baptism and divine worship on the sacrosanct sabbath.

He condemned idolatry and witchcraft, murder, banditry and ethnic feuding (such as between his own Hakka tribesmen and the dominant Punti) not to mention promiscuity, materialism, gambling (mah jong) and addictions to tobacco, alcohol and opium. He advocated the abolition of private property and land-owning, with everyone sharing a communal "Sacred Treasury." He proclaimed equal rights for women, the abolition of foot-binding, arranged marriage, prostitution and concubinage, wife-purchase and widow suicide. He democratised education and literacy by introducing the Hakka simplified dialect. His espousal of women's rights included equal opportunites in education, government and the military.

The Imperial Qing authorities first attacked Hong's followers in 1850. In 1851 Hong announced the "Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace," and invited all China to join him, rise with his "Chosen People" to drive out the "devil Manchu," and enter the "Promised Land." In some ways his new Exodus forshadowed Mao's Long March. Hong's Hakka guerilla army also included men and women, Hakka women being particularly reknowned fighters.

With an army of one million zealous followers and the Ten Commandments as his battle hymn, he captured the old Ming capital, Nanjing, in 1853, and proclaimed it the "New Jerusalem." He revealed himself as the reincarnated Melchizedek, (the Old Testament prophet who heralded the reign of King David.) Under God's rule land ownership and rents would be abolished, and taxes reduced.

He called for global equality (taiping), not just of Hakka and Han Chinese, but also with the "brothers and sisters of all nations under God." His religious beliefs were a mixture of Fundamentalist Baptist protestantism and Hakka shamanism. One of his chief cohorts was an illiterate Hakka charcoal-burner, Yang Yiuqing, a shaman who had daily visions of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost which kept the followers inspired.

Eventually, in 1856 a falling out between the different theological visionaries, Hong, God's son, and Yang, God's mouthpiece, weakened Taiping morale just when the Qing rulers resources were weakest, their troops seriously over-stretched. Then in 1859, Taiping aspirations to link with western Christianity failed as Taiping was denounced as heretical by "fellow missionaries."

Eventually, well-trained Chinese troops backed by Western forces and materiel flattened the New Jerusalem. Western governments, particularly the British, were very concerned that the opium trade might be lost under Taiping influence. Nanjing fell in 1864, and the mopping-up operation continued for another two years after that.

However, Hong's egalitarianism directly inspired Sun Yat-Sen's first Republic of China. Deng Xiaoping, Mao's hit-man for years before becoming "emperor," was also Hakka, and Hakka cadres formed an inner circle of the early soviets.

Falun Gong

Given Chinese beliefs about the end of a dynasty, it's no wonder Jiang Zemin, and now Hu Jintao have suppressed Falun Gong with such savagery. On the one hand the CCP dynasty of Mao, Deng, Jiang has lost "the mandate of heaven," while Master Li Honzhi, the founder of Falun Gong, is just the sort of eclectic cult-maker that Chinese dynasts fear. Falun Dafa, the Way of the Law Wheel, is a heady mix of New Age beliefs, Qi Gong and Buddhism. Li claims to be an enlightened "master," on a par with Buddha and Christ4, and to be able to see extraterrestrial aliens who have invaded earth, one of the weirder aspects of Falun Gong, and one his followers don't publicise as much as their admirable adherence to "Zhen, Shan, Ren," truth, forbearance and compassion.

But with deaths in custody running into the thousands over three years, the Falun Gong are a genuine "army of martyrs" who are happy to protest their non-violent faith in public, knowing the fate that awaits them in prisons and labour camps across China. That faith alone is enough to cause a chill in a "communist" party which has long since abandoned all socialist idealism, whose leader's utopian vision left 100 million dead, and which has subsequently sold out to a chauvinistic version of global consumerism.

1 Falun Gong is described by its adherents as "an ancient practice of self-cultivation." The basic tenets of Falun Gong beliefs can be found in the book "China Falun Gong" by Master Li Hongzhi. Falun Gong first came to the notice of the Chinese authorities after a mass demonstration of silent meditation in Tiananmen Square by 10,000 followers in 1998. Since when, under both Presidents Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao, the Chinese authorites have attempted to eradicate the sect in a policy of merciless persecution.2.The information on the Taiping Rising is mainly drawn from an article, "The Hakka Contribution to China's Transformation," by Professor Richard Bohr, St.Benedict and St.John's University, Minnesota, USA.3The Hakka People are an early indigenous group of "Han" Chinese who settled in the South of China. hakka4 A large photo of Master Li in Buddha mode often dominates the stage at his followers' conferences

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2257670

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more