Elgin Marbles

1 Conversation

Elgin Marbles

No - Elgin Marbles is not the name of a game of marbles - although may be it is. The Elgin Marbles is the new name given to some priceless sculptures of Phidias that once adorned the Parthenon, the most important religious monument in the Acropolis, which stands on the high ground of Athens as it has for near on 5,000 years. So why are they called Elgin? Well that's easy to understand - if, as I am, you're British. In 1800 AD an UK aristocrat called Thomas Bruce, who was the 7th Earl of Elgin, went to Greece and, depending on your point of view, bought them, at a knock down price, or stole them with the help of some sky high bribes. Whichever - there is no doubt that he exported them from Greece to Great Britain, sold them on to the British Museum in London and, in the way of most European 18th century voyagers, was flattered to have his name stuck all over them.

The good people of Athens take the view that the evil Earl was a thief and so want them back. The grand people of the British Museum are clear the marbles were fairly bought and insist on keeping them. The politicians of both countries are stymied. On the one hand there is clearly no point in losing friends over some nicely carved rocks. On the other if you give them back where will it end? Will the British have to give the Falklands Islands back to the Argentineans who will call them Islas Malvinas - in the name of the National Anthem surely not?

What do you think? My only contribution to the debate is that if the marbles are returned to Greece the casually dressed, whistle blowing, security guards that look after the national treasures of present day Greece should take a very long course in being civil. I say this with authority of a tourist that witnessed them being inexplicably obnoxious.












Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A219485

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more