A Conversation for GG: The War of the Crows

Interesting

Post 1

KB

This is a subject I know nothing about, other than seeing some (mostly hooded) crows around from time to time. That said, it's clearly written, easy to understand, and the I think the tone would appeal to a general reader who happens upon it at random.

It reminds me of the grey squirrel/red squirrel competition too. Interesting article!

KB


Interesting

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Grey squirrels and red squirrels actually have different foods - red squirrels eat the seeds of conifers while grey squirrels eat the seeds of broad-leaved trees. So the two species should coexist in Europe by living in different forests. But in England, because there were no grey squirrels for a long time, the red squirrels strayed into the broad-leaved forests.


Interesting

Post 3

KB

From what I've read on the matter, red squirrels tend to decline when greys are introduced to their habitat. In conifer woodlands the size of the two populations tends to be a lot closer to equal than in broadleaved woodland - or at least the decline of the red populations is a lot slower.


Interesting

Post 4

I am Donald Sutherland

Yes, very interesting. Didn't realise that there was such a marked demarcation between the habitat of the two species.

Just one small typo:

Hooded Crows live every else in Europe.

Should be everywhere.

The reason I was given for the decline of the red squirrel in favour of the grey is that the red squirrel is a bit more picky in what it will eat whereas the grey squirrel will east almost anything, even acorns when there is a shortage of more tasty morsels. Thus giving the grey squirrel and edge in the survival stakes.

Donald


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more