The Royal Shakespeare Company

3 Conversations

Despite being one of the most famous theatre companies in the world, the Royal Shakespeare Company - also known as the RSC - is a relatively modern company. It has been the training ground for many of Britain's famous actors. Indeed, it has drawn many actors from around the world to its hallowed productions. For us to find out how, or why, the RSC became established, we would need to step back to the time of the great bard himself.

Theatrical Troupes

In 1559, Elizabeth I set up a proclamation that all players were to be licensed. Thus, the earlier informal troupes of travelling players were disbanded and became the new touring 'companies'. Such companies were to receive the patronage of those at court, which also allowed the more prosperous to invest in the new playhouses of the mid-to-late 16th Century

At this time, actors were known as 'players', there were no actresses. Female roles were played by boys who were either apprenticed to the companies, or beginning their careers as Children of the Royal Chapel. Most leading actors were also known as 'sharers'. Sharers received profits from the performances and were also responsible for the assets of the company. Most other players were paid an agreed fixed rate for their performance.

For a playwright to succeed in Elizabethan times, he would need to find a company of performers. The sharers would listen to the plot, and, if they liked the idea, they would offer a downpayment for the play to be completed.

Shakespeare, having found a group of players with whom he could work closely, would have personalised each actor's script taking into account the actor's personality and acting techniques. Each part was written on parchment and handed only to the actor playing that role. Until rehearsals, nobody would be any the wiser how their part would turnout. Rehearsals were to plan costumes and cues. At no point was a script written with 'enter stage left'. All such decisions were made at the rehearsals, which must have put a lot of pressure on the entire company, should decisions be changed abruptly. Richard Burbage was the Chamberlain's leading man; renowned for his excellent memory, Shakespeare created the parts of Richard III and Hamlet for him. As the actor aged Shakespeare gave him more mature parts, including the aging Othello.

The Chamberlain's Men

Originally this theatrical company was under the patronage of Lord Strange until he died in 1594. The cousin and Chamberlain of Elizabeth I, Henry Carey, reorganised the company with Richard Burbage and William Shakespeare among the players. When Henry Carey died in 1595, the company name changed, once more, as his son George took up the patronage, they then became known as the Lord Hunsdon's Men. This continued until 1597, when George Carey, Lord Hunsdon, became the Chamberlain to the Royal Court. Once more the name of the 'Chamberlain's Men' returned to the theatrical circle.

At this time, the company performed at the Theatre built at Shoreditch in 1576, by James Burbage. This was an amphitheatre with three tiers of galleries and a covered stage. James Burbage ran the theatre until his death in 1597, at this same period the lease on the site also expired. The Burbage family - including James' player son, Richard - dismantled the theatre and rebuilt it under the name of the Globe. In the meantime the company used the Curtain, until they moved to the newly built Globe in 1599.

Just prior to his death, James Burbage also purchased the Blackfriars indoor theatre in 1596. This playhouse was built in 1576 for the Children of the Royal Chapel. Burbage began to convert it into a playhouse for the Chamberlain's Men, but following local objection, it was again leased to a company of boy players. When this company disbanded, his son, Richard, quickly took control by putting in a syndicate of players to run the playhouse. The Blackfriars became the winter theatre of the Chamberlain's Men with the Globe being used for the summer season.

The King's Men

The King's Men were fast becoming the leading theatrical company in London. Shakespeare must have been a prominent figure and certainly a sharer of the company, as in 1603 King James I became their patron. The new company of 'The King's Men' was created with letters of patent:

William Shakespeare.... and the rest of theire Assosiates freely to use and exercise the Arte and faculty of playinge Comedies Tragedies histories Enterludes moralls pastoralls Stageplaies and suche others like as theie have alreadie studied or hereafter shall use or studie as well for the recreation of our livinge Subjectes as for our Solace and pleasure when wee shall thincke good to see them duringe our pleasure...

After the death of Shakespeare in 1616, his fellow sharers and leading players, John Heminge and Henry Condell, kept the scripts safe and became responsible for the first folio edition of Shakespeare's plays being printed in 1623.

Under the royal patronage of King James I, then later under Charles I, the company continued with great success until 1642, when the English Civil War forced the closure of all the theatres. For a further 18 years the theatres remained closed under the rule of the Puritans:

Whereas. . . the distracted estate of England, threatened with a cloud of blood by a civil war, calls for all pallible means go appease and avert the wrath of God, . . . it is therefore thought fit and ordained by the Lords and Commons in this Parliament assembled, that . . . public stage plays shall cease and be forborne.

The Monarchy was reinstated in 1660. With Charles II on the throne the theatres re-opened and 'The King's Men' returned, only this time women were allowed to perform on stage too.

Stratford-upon-Avon

It is, perhaps, most fitting that the work of Shakespeare is acknowledged with great pride in his home town. In 1875, a local brewer, Charles Flower, began a campaign to establish a theatre promoting the works of Shakespeare. Flower's generosity in donating the two-acre site for the purpose, has ensured it is one of the most famous sites in Britain.

The Gothic building of the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre opened in 1879, with the performance of Much Ado About Nothing. The theatre was drawing interest from all quarters. By 1907, stars of the stage became a leading attraction and so, the month long 'summer season' began.

Royal Charter

In recognition of 50 years of excellent performances, the theatre was granted a Royal Charter in 1925. Unfortunately, a year later, fire ripped through the building totally destroying the theatre.

In the best tradition of any theatre 'the show must go on'! The director William Bridges-Adams, used the local cinema to continue the productions. At the same time he established a campaign, that went worldwide, to raise funds to build a new theatre.

Elizabeth Scott designed the building and on the anniversary of Shakespeare's birthday, the new Shakespeare Memorial Theatre was opened by the Prince of Wales on 23 April, 1932.

The modern Royal Shakespeare Company was formed in 1960. Peter Hall renamed the Memorial Theatre as the 'Royal Shakespeare Theatre' in 1961.

After celebrating its 75th Anniversary, the 'Royal Shakespeare Theatre' closed its doors in 2007 to enable the theatre to be totally rebuilt within the gothic shell. To facilitate the changes, the RSC moved across to the 'Courtyard Theatre' until the planned re-opening in 2010.

The Swan Theatre

This small, theatre was completed in 1986, and built alongside the wall of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. It was designed by the British architect Michael Reardon, who is not only an exterior designer, he is also an historic building consultant, and an interior designer, which made him a good choice for keeping in line with historic structure's limitations.

The Swan has and initimate 430 seat auditorium with its galleries, giving the audience a very intimate view of the deep-thrust stage. With its modern sound system and lighting this theatre is dedicated to the contempories of Shakespeare and the works of European writers. Although Shakespeare's works are sometimes performed there, as on the 8 May, 1986, the theatre opened with Shakespeare's and John Fletcher's The Two Noble Kinsmen.

The Swan theatre was also temporarily closed in 2007, while the work was being carried out to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.

This is one of the world's most iconic theatrical sites. It represents a mix of Shakespearean performance, history and biography that's unique. Our challenge is to marry the best elements of the existing buildings with the brief we've outlined for the auditorium, backstage and audience facilities.

This is a once in a generation opportunity both for the RSC and Stratford-upon-Avon. We need the help of all our supporters to realise our vision.

— Sir Christopher Bland, Chairman

On Tour

The repertoire of the RSC was extended to take in other classic works and more modern styles. Major changes in policy were created in 1996. This was to broaden the company's access to the public, by increasing world tours. Local tours also enable up to 75% of the population to be within 45 minutes driving time of the RSC's works at some time during the year.

From the very beginning, the standard of acting was high. Established actors working alongside new members; teaching, coaching, giving the best of their skills and experience to the next generation of actors. This is still practised by the RSC today.

Many performers moved on to screen and television. Yet, at some point, they always return to give their time and skills back to the company and the stage which helped to forge their career.

The London Season


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A21648693

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more