Intelligarchy

1 Conversation

So what is it?

Intelligrachy is the name of a brand new system of government that I have devised, which I shall detail here. It is a system that will benefit greatly any society that adopts it. It is the only political system that uses discrimination in a logical, rational, sensible and above all beneficialway.

The name 'intelligarchy' comes from two words, 'intelligence' and 'oligarchy'. These are the two founding principles of this system. An oligarchy was an ancient Greek system of government that gave the power of vote to only the most wealthy and influential people in the city-state. It was essentially a slightly unfair system of democracy, a stepping-stone between a tyranny and a true democracy. A from of this system was employed for centuries until about a century and a half ago.

And, well, we all know what intelligence means, don't we?

I think that most of you can see what is coming: in an intelligarchial system of government, the power of vote is only given to those of a certain level of either IQ or qualification. This means that the people who rule over them will be chosen by the intelligent and well-informed, and not the readers of the National Enquirer and the eaters of Spam, as has become the case in many countries today.

So why this not democracy?

To quote Arnold J. Rimmer in the novel Backwards:

"The problem with democracy is that every silly b*****d gets a vote."

That pretty much says it all. For centuries the intelligent, those most capable of governing, have been trod on by the rich and the powerful, and now, in the days of complete democracy, the intelligent are trodden underfoot by the stupid and ignorant. The vote of one genius in the correct place is cancelled out by the vote of one moron in the wrong place.

Look me in the eyes and say to me, hand on heart, that you want a stupid person to help determine the futures of you, your children, and your children's children. Tell me that it's in the name of fairness.

And try not to laugh, now, won't you?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A213229

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more