A Conversation for Plastic Bags and the Environment

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 1

lamp-post_101

Entry: Plastic Bags and the Environment - A20957088
Author: lamp-post_101 - U1558374

I would like to get this into the edited guide as I think it is an important issue with the environment as it is.

What can be done to improve it?


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 2

Mina

You do need to check through for your spelling, as there are a few mistakes which a spell checker won't pick up. Witch instead of which, cold instead of could, seam instead of seem for example.

Are you sure that sainsbury's used to charge for carrier bags? My family have been Sainsbury's shoppers 'forever' but don't remember every being charged for bags (although we did know the woman on the checkout as she was a mate of my grandmother's, so maybe that's why?).

I like this entry, it's a subject close to my heart! Perhaps you could put in some ideas for reusing carrier bags if you do get 'forced' to have one before you can refuse. I usually take out bags when I go shopping, but the times I shop 'unexpectedly' I do sometimes bring them home, and some ideas for what I could do with them would be good. I mainly use them for collecting my clutter to take to charity shops, who then reuse the bags for shoppers, or I use them when I go camping as rubbish bags. Although they still end up in landfill, at least they have been used again, rather than just thrown away, and a new bag used for rubbish.

"Tesco have also had another idea they are giving club cards to all customers who reuse carrier bags in store"

I think you mean they give club card points to customers - of course this is no incentive for the people who don't collect them.


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 3

lamp-post_101

Thank you for your comments I will add to/ change the article when I find time.


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 4

lamp-post_101

Also if anybody has any more uses for plastic bags I would like to hear about themsmiley - ok


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 5

U168592

Picking up dog poo.


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 6

Mina

That has environmental implications, so if you add that to your entry, you can link to this entry - A11998461.


Also - A450587 and A2082890 have more idea, and A3740492 is quite a good link.


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 7

R_O_Shipman

I think this is a really good topic for an article, and this definitely covers the key points and is informative however there are a few points I’d like to raise about the article itself.


The first sentence scrolling back and forth is difficult to read. I spent quite some time gazing at it in bewilderment before I actually managed to read the words and actually understand what it meant. Could this not be stationary so that people like me can start the article without being confused from the off.



“Plastic carrier bags are used at an alarming rate”, “They take up huge amounts of space in our country’s land fill sites which is terrible”

These statements are subjective. If you are setting out to provide an accurate, informative and serious article it should not contain opinions such as these. I would suggest either find credible citations, or rephrase these sentences. Maybe “They take up huge amounts of space in our country’s land fill sites unnecessarily.”


“In addition as the bags decompose they release flammable greenhouse gasses contributing to global warming.”

You present this as fact, when it is a very contentious issue. Whilst I would be inclined to agree with you it could be argued otherwise. Maybe you could rephrase it with “which are claimed to contribute to global warming”. (Also later “The production, decomposition and, disposal by burning, of plastic bags releases huge amounts of gasses1 which cause global warming, dimming and climate change.” Repeats this point)

“besides been ugly,” – being ugly.


“Tesco and the Co-Op now us biodegradable bags” - use biodegradable bags


“Tesco have also had another idea they give club cards to customers who reuse carrier bags in store, or give bags back to delivery drivers.” - a colon or dash after idea would add clarity to this sentence.


“Although something is been done” – being done


“long way to go before the shops in Britain are satisfactorily environmentally friendly,” – to who’s satisfaction? Yours?


“Many British people feel slightly inclined to re-use their old carrier bags, but can’t be bothered as there is no real incentive or benefit for them, if carrier bags were charged for the incentive would be there, they would save money by not buying new carrier bags. People don’t like reusing bags as it requires a little bit of effort which they can’t be bothered to put in.”

– opinion again?

“ether because you don't have enough bags with you or yours are worn out.” – either



“You should keep a reused bag on you most of the time if going into a commercial area, to anticipate those spontaneous purchases.” – opinion again. Maybe you could rephrase this… If you intend to do this it is best to keep a reused bag…


“Storage- bags can be used to keep thing all in one place.” – things?

“This type of bag can also be used to keep thing dry,” – things again

“Been able to waterproof things can be very useful.” – being

Whilst I have picked a fair few points up here I must stress that I do think this article will be very good once complete, and would be a good addition to H2G2.

Shippers


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 8

lamp-post_101

smiley - ok Thanks - I found you comment very useful and have amended the entry accordingly - Is the first sentence easier to read now it is scrolling?


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 9

Mina

If your entry gets picked for the Guide, the subeditor will remove the scrolling text from the final entry anyway.

I keep a folding non-plastic bag in my car at all times, yet still I sometimes forget to take it out with me!


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 10

R_O_Shipman

Glad to be of some assistance - although that first sentence is still scrolling and says bad instead of bag and minuet instead of minute.


A20957088 - Plastic Bags and the Environment

Post 11

lamp-post_101

OK I've taken the scroll off and changed the spelling


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more