Leaf Blowers

0 Conversations

The Leaf Blowers

Imagine autumn. There is an exciting crispness in the air and the wind begins to busy itself and stretch it's airy limbs in anticipation of the coming winter. The trees have sensed the lowering daily angle of the sun and decided it's time to give up their leaves, first turning them brown, red and gold. Walking to the bus, car, or mailbox becomes an adventure, a spirited, poetic awakening as nature messes up your hair, and everything else around you.

Then come the blowers. They start a 9:00am every morning. Roaring, whining, mechanical demons that belch engine exhaust which is not subject to emmissions testing. They swarm over the ocean of blacktop, blowing the leaves past the concrete shores, and onto the grassy islands where they are deemed "tidy." They blow across my threshold and under my door where the grime of civilization combines with the soil and leaf dust of nature in my fresh and recently cleaned entrance way. The wind may blow in a leaf from time to time, but to get the grime, you need the blowers.

I yell, but I am screaming into a black hole, because the machine is much louder than any voice could ever be. The fear of letting my soul be sucked into oblivion causes me to thrash and wave my arms, 'til at last they stop.

"Why can't you use a broom?" I ask in desperation.
"Because we've got to get these leaves up and it would never get done," says the man who tends the demon.
"Who is the genius that decided the leaves need to be gotten up anyway?" I call into the black hole.

After the demons are banished for the day, the wind blows the leaves back onto the pavement.

~Lute

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A205453

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more