Northern Ireland

1 Conversation

What is actually going on in Northern Ireland?

To tell the truth the same scenario as the soccer match only on a much bigger scale, is what is happening in Northern Ireland at the moment, and has been happening for many years. Catholics and Protestants are killing each other because of religious beliefs. Republicans and Nationalists are killing each other because of political beliefs. Or so they claim. When in actual fact, no one really knows what they're fighting for anymore. Not even the people who are heavily involved know why they're still throwing bombs at each other, even after a lot of years and countless attempts at peace.

It's a sad fact that, although some of the things that are happening to other people in other parts of the world are so unspeakably dreadful, the kind of society that we exist in couldn't exist without it. It stands to reason, because if there was no more terrible violence, then, on the other side of the world, sitting safely and snugly in their little sofas, the everyday citizens would have no-one to feel sorry for. No reason to sit in front of our TV's with looks of horror and say 'Oh no. I can't believe this is happening to real people. Let's do something about it'. And then, shortly after the news bulletin, turn off the TV, go upstairs and sleep peacefully in dreams of merry-go-rounds and cotton candy and forget everything we've just been shown of the horrors others are living.

Without that ability, the ability to stop caring when it's not convenient for us, our society would collapse.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A202834

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more