A Conversation for The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

A2023732 - The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

Post 21

Researcher 825122

I see what you mean, the Americans were HEROES! They had freed impoverished and commercially backward Europe from fascism and repression, they had fought for freedom ... and given chocolate to the children and panties to the woman and cigaretes to men and women alike in Europe.
After the victory-party they went back to their advanced and rich country, to their refigerators, the television sets, cars and movies. By 1945 the depression thanks to the war-effort was well over. The soldiers who came back had seen Europe and believe me at that time it surely wasn't anything like the USA. In comparison to the people in Europe the Americans were well off. They had won the war and came back to a rich and intact country. That must have accounted for some of the optimism I find in the book.

Then there is something else. When someone griefs the person will be alone shut of from the people around him or her who seem to go on with their lives and seem to have a good time without a care in the world ... a bit phoney.


A2023732 - The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

Post 22

AlexAshman


Hi tom

Are you still working on this? smiley - smiley

Alex smiley - biggrin


A2023732 - The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

Post 23

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Tom hasn't been around since October -- move to the Flea Market?

smiley - mouse


A2023732 - The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

Post 24

GreyDesk

There is a working stub of an entry here, so the Flea Market is its best home.

Seconded smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more