Derek And The Dominoes

2 Conversations

*THIS ENTRY IS ONLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION A LITTLE BIT!*

The 6th band that Eric Clapton was in. You know why? EC was sick of being rich and famous. Hw wanted/s to be a great musician, but could well do without the fame and attention that came with it. Derek And The Dominoes was a band that Eric founded in 1970 to try and find anomnity whilst still meeting and playing with people he liked. The rest of it's line-up was:
Jim Gordon (drums, percussion & piano)
Duane Allman (ex Allman Brothers, guitars)
Bobby Whitlock (organ, piano, vocals & acoustic guitar)
Carl Radle (bass & percussion)
Eric Clapton was also the lead vocalist.

Wanna know how they got that silly name for the band? Well, for their first gig they were just about to be called up to play, when this bloke came up to them and asked them what their band was called. They thought "hell we're about to go up and we havn't got a name for ourselves!" Their manager knew Clapton well, and frequently called him Derek (as opposed to Eric) and things like that. Del, Tel you know. So Mr Manager said "well how's about Derek And His Dynamos", something cooked up at the last second. They changed it to Derek And The Dominoes and history was made!

You've probably heard Layla at least once in your life. It's on the B-side of their 1st album, Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs. It got to #10. The brilliant solo after all the singing is Duane Allman and his slide guitar. Duane's slide playing inspired Eric to play slide on Tell The Truth, on the same album. It kicks butt! Also on the album is Bell Bottom Blues, which has become as classic. Like Layla, but less so.

D&TD split in 1973.

TO BE CONTINUED!(don't hesitate to help me with this entry).

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A202005

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more