A Conversation for King Arthur Found at Tintagel?

Wow!

Post 1

Ginger The Feisty

Hey Bran! Great article. Wonder if I will get to sub-edit it.
I feel a bit ashamed that someone from the other side of the world knows more about the history of this country than I do although I am trying to remedy that. Doug Dastardly and I are setting up our own web site which covers bits and pieces of history and places we visit. When it is finally up and running i'll give you the link because you may be able to contradict or supplement some of the things we have found out.


Wow!

Post 2

Bran the Explorer

Hi Ginger

Many thanks! What a great compliment. I am a bit of a fraud in that I am writing a PhD on the interaction between the Celtic and Anglo-Saxon people of early medieval Britain - so I have a bit of a head start. I have a side interest in the historical material on "King" Arthur. Actually, I have an article prepared on the documentary sources for Arthur if that would be of interest?

Yes, please let me know the link for your new site. Sounds great.

Thanks again for your message.
Bran.


Wow!

Post 3

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Very cool article. Never even heard of the entire controversy across the pond, more's the pity. But then, our media would rather get wrapped up in the sex lives of our leaders...smiley - sigh

What about the claim that King Edward I of England discovered King Arthur's grave in ...uhhh...the name escapes me for the moment...? Do you believe there's any truth to the claim?


Wow!

Post 4

Bran the Explorer

Edward was supposed to have had dug up and re-interred the remains of Arthur at Glastonbury ... he was following on from a supposed exhumation done in 1191 under the orders of the late Henry I.

Basically this was a fraud - the monks needed money to rebuild the monastery which had suffered from a substantial fire in 1186 or so. The whole exhumation was stage-managed (and done behind a screen!).

So, sorry ... the Arthur exhumation at Glastonbury is not likely to have been authentic. Great story, but!

Cheers
Bran


Wow!

Post 5

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Good to know. Thanks!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for King Arthur Found at Tintagel?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more