A Conversation for I'm a Goddamned Atheist...

This is cool.

Post 1

Mike A (snowblind)

You make me laugh, fish dude. You are a cool person!


This is cool.

Post 2

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

Dear Mr Kringle, sir:

While I appreciate how you must feel [I'm an atheist myself], I dont really feel that the 'colorful language' is necessary. I think you get your point across quite well without it.
smiley - smiley
It might even be more entertaining without the adjectives...

Fondly,
the bluDragon
}:=8


This is cool.

Post 3

Mike A (snowblind)

I'm an athiest too, y'know.

Why do people swear so much? It's to grind the point in about whatever they feel strong about.
Therefore, don't diss swearing.
smiley - winkeye


This is cool???

Post 4

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

dear Mike A,

My comment was not meant in an unkind way, but as a suggestion as to how to improve the humor of the article in a way that is more in keeping with the spirit of the h2g2 site. smiley - smiley

I agree that strong language can emphasise a point, and in the right place can be very useful. But, I would make a distinction between 'swearing' [as in 'goddammit!'] and the use of scatalogical and slang sexual terms to illustrate what is potentially quite a witty article about poor mr.kringle's bad feelings about the commercialization of the holiday. [And even swearing for emphasis loses it's impact when used continually.]

It is only my opinion, but I don't feel that scattering s*** and f*** throughout the article really improves it. I am not saying these words should never be used, only that a humorous article such as this, on h2g2, could be wittier without them.

Dunno if fish is still around, but I see that he/she/it has submitted the article for approval, so I guess it will be up to the PTB to decide if it is appropriate the way it is. On the other hand, it would be unfortunate if it get rejected due to language when it could be quite a funny addition to the guide.

I am the last person in the world to attempt to control anyone's speech, and I am certainly NOT the language police, here, I am only another lowly Researcher. Please accept the comment in the spirit in which it was offered.

best wishes,
blu
}:=8


This is v v cool !!!

Post 5

Mike A (snowblind)

Fair enough
Personally, I love it the way it is!
Glad to see it's been posted for approval. This sort of thing would never get approved though, which is a shame because it's great!
So what if the swearing's out of character for h2g2. It still kicks. I mean if you look hard enough then you'll find that there's still more things like this out there.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for I'm a Goddamned Atheist...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more