A Conversation for Playing God

the term AI

Post 41

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Well, I still hold on to the belief that at least the first few generations WILL ruly be artificial intelligence... when they start creating their own offspring, and show signs of outgrowing us, then maybe we should consider dropping the "artificial" from the term.

However, I do see the point... it's hard to draw the line.


the term AI

Post 42

God

Probably they *will* be AI, but I don't know for how long. Plus, if the AIs come from already existing life, ie animals that are given more brain mass or powers of thought, then I think that they deserve to be, shall we say, "real" intelligence, or RI for short. And can we really be so full of ourselves to call humans by the term RI?


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 43

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

The title of the story was actually "Reason."


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 44

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

According to an article I read in the Scientific American, complexity maps to the area of the cerebral cortex (the surface layer of the brain), not the brain's total mass. Or at least _some_ important aspect of intelligence was related to the area of the cortex.


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 45

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Hi sweety!

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought too... throws us all a bit off our feet, tho. smiley - smiley

In that case we may hope that the brain is actually a mass of "strings" which each provide their own surface, rather than a compact mass, which only has an outside surface to offer smiley - winkeye

Or am I seeing the wrong end again? Unfortunately, I'm not quite an expert on brains.


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 46

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

I just found out that somebody else already posted a better explanation of the whole cortex thing in this thread. But I don't think the "string" idea holds up, although the area of the cortex does depend on the number of crinkles (human brains are exceedingly crinkly).


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 47

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Ah, ok....

about the crinkliness: that's about the extent of my knowledge as far as the physical brain is concerned. Bloody little to work with, huh?


the term AI

Post 48

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Well, at least we have been on our own long enough, so nobody can call us "AI" anymore. But REAL Intelligent? I wouldn't DARE apply that term to myself, even if I had an IQ of 175 (which I don't).

And what is an IQ worth after all? Having a high IQ (I consider the 149 that I measured 4 years ago to be quite high) doesn't mean that I can handle all situations in my daily life. On the contrary: untill now, this totally meaningless number has only proved to me that I'm very good at solving little puzzles. It's just so arbitrary.

And on average, we humans ought to score about 100, but in reality, if we get a global average of 95, we may consider ourselves lucky.
And see what we have done with it so far... This planet is a mess, and there's nobody we can blame but ourselves: humans!

Intelligent? Nah.....


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 49

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Yep. I've read some stuff on the brain, but I don't remember enough of it to be able to figure out which parts might be relevant.


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 50

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Ah well, we'll just have to make do and see where it ends. But right now it's time to Jam and scare somebody's pants off... smiley - winkeye


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 51

wingpig

Scan? What are you on about?


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 52

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Halloween party?

And did you have anyone specific in mind....?smiley - winkeye


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 53

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

I gueass I'd have to say "No" on both accounts. First of all, Halloween is not much of a happening in Holland (I thought it was mostly restricted to the British Commonwealth smiley - smiley).
I just mentioned it, because the majority here seems to be English/American or Aussie.

On the second question, there's one person who I'd like to have without pants, but I wouldn't SCARE 'em off her smiley - winkeye


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 54

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Figured as much. Errr...good luck (?)


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 55

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Thanx, have you had a good weekend?


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 56

Si

It's easy to get carried away with statement like "[humanesque, self-aware] intelligence is an emergent property of a suitably complex brain" and not consider the the effect that our environment has had over the last 4 million years, forcing particular adaptations.

We could hack away in silico for decades evolving virtual critters on faster and faster hardware and end up with nothing more than phenomenal maze solving savants. This is what happens when you build too many ( > 0 ) assumptions into your virtual environments.

None of this matters though, if you just want to solve existing problems with adaptive solutions - we don't care that they don't appreciate music. It will be a problem for the "creating humanesque, self-aware, intelligent life in a computer" school, though. Maybe a fatal one.


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 57

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

I meant that the bit you wrote was enough for a complete ENTRY over three pages... putting that in a discussion takes a lot of time. Reading it is not less painfull smiley - winkeye


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 58

deryk

Are you saying that intelligent behaviour is a product of the environment, or evolution or...?

Are you trying to draw a distinction between an AI that exists purely in the environment of a computer and one that "is" a computer, but lives in the same world we do?

I can agree if someone claims that a computer virus is alive, in the context of a computer environment. What would it mean to be "intelligent" in the context of a computer environment?

I think I am asking you to clarify.


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 59

Si

I think that everyone here is using a different definition of the word intelligent. I use it to mean a system that can examine it's surroundings and modify it's behaviour to solve a problem. A thermostatically controlled oven would fall into this category and is intelligent as defined here, though there are far more complicated and impressive examples.

As far as I can see, there are two distinct areas in AI; adaptive, intelligent systems designed to solve a real problem, like image recognition and secondly, systems that are designed to display a level of intelligence that would impress a human - something we could communicate with.

It is only the second class of systems that provokes "potentially smarter than us" discussions. IMO, this class of systems would have to pass a completely open ended Turing test. I would expect to be able to annoy it, seduce it, make it laugh, make it tell me my jokes are bad, that I smell - any or all of these things. It should be capable of novel thought, it should make suggestions, good and bad, it should break into spontaneous song, it should sulk for no reason.

> Are you saying that intelligent behaviour is a product of the environment, or evolution or...?

"Our" level of intelligence is a product of evolution, yes.

> Are you trying to draw a distinction between an AI that exists purely in the environment of a computer and one that "is"
> a computer, but lives in the same world we do?

No, provided you could provide the same kind of environment within the machine, there's no difference, IMO.


So, who is this God person anyway?

Post 60

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Kind of dull. There was a Halloween party (of course) that my friends and I attempted to attend, but things didn't work out too well (there was an hour's wait just to get in and about five minutes later somebody pulled the fire alarm and out we all went again.) Got all dressed up for nothing. smiley - sadface Then the rest of the weekend was pretty typical, i.e. nothing happened, except for the little bike theft recorded in my journal (yes, this is a shameless attempt to get people to read my zarking journal--although at times I'm not certain I really want anyone to.) That and I saw Goldeneye, and played the video game thereof as well. Did pretty lousy at it, too. I have absolutely no spatial sense.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more