The Keeper of Lies

0 Conversations

A man sat near the bar of the arena. It was a party, and he was enjoying it quite a bit. He was chatting up a young woman nearby and ignoring the music. This was his night, and no one was going to take that from him. No one.

All that day, the man had made a point of plastering posters and pictures of himself all over the town, even to the extreme of covering up some other people's posters. He didn't care who he put down, as long as he got himself up. For short periods of time, it seemed to his cohorts as if the man was suspicious of something, but when asked the man would change the subject. For the most part it had been a tedious day. It's highlight for the man had been putting a huge picture of his right on top of Green Grass's picture. The man thought Green Grass had okay music, but just wasn't worthy to be awarded in general. He had felt pride as he knew that poster would help him win the prestigious award he felt he was destined for.

Unbeknownst to the man at the bar, a strange entity was watching him. She was observing his every move. She had been watching him for what both he and she considered too long. A wise being, she was not impressed by what she saw, as she never was. She grew more bothered the longer she stuck around. Finally she could stand it no longer. Besides, she had gotten what she wanted. A glimpse of him for who and what he still was.

"So, what did you think about the Green Grass performance?"

"I don't like Green Grass much. Um, they really just aren't a normal band. They do things so differently, it's unsettling. I don't think they should be compared with any other artists."

The man, silhouetted in the dim light his lamp provided, put himself to bed. He was tired from the evening's celebrations and he could still hear some of the supporting bands performing covers of his songs downstairs. Even the mass of reporters had vanished. It had been a good day, packed with good publicity everywhere.

Deep into the black night, the man was awoken by a faint blue glow outside his hotel window. As time started to pass the glow grew stronger and before long a figure appeared. She was thin and tall, and she moved with the grace of a shooting star. Her wings were curved and pointed, sharp as knives, both fascinating and coldly rejecting. She was pale as the moon and, like the moon, she eminated a faded light. The expression on her face was one of faint reluctancy and sorrow. Even after months of seeing her at least once a week, the man was speechless. If he had still had enough mind to speak, he would have no words.

"So. You're feeling pretty mighty, aren't you? Yes, yes you are. You have been praised for your wit and creative ideas, have you not? However, you don't like to share your rewards much, do you? You think you deserve it all, I suppose."

The man's facial expression shifted from a dazed amazement to a look of deep regret. He knew the inevitable, and was obviously dreading it.

The sprite continued. "A very successful night you've had. A chance to relax, let go, and suck all the attention you get right up. As a sponge might. You must be squeezed to elicit your attention, though. Am I right in thinking this? No, no, that is for you to decide."

The man realized his mistake.

As if in a dream, the man asked distractedly, "Who are you?" as if he didn't already know.

"I am Svaeille. The guardian of respect and equality. The holder of all unjustice. The keeper of lies, in a sense. That is all you need to know."

At that point Svaeille lunged out of the window, and, transfixed, so did the man.

He woke up. "You must ruin your promise, though, musn't you? You alienate and ignore those who don't follow the trends you've set, the ideas you preach. That's what I heard. It's what you said. Do you know what you implied by your little gesture of ego? You suggested that every person alive should be an exact clone of you. Is that what you meant?"

"I never promised you anything. You appear out of nowhere and hurt me on occasion. I'm not to blame for whatever it is you blame me for.

"See, now? If you hadn't have made that comment about being 'normal' and put yourself on that sign you'd be eating a full sized breakfast in a nice hotel. It's your insults on anything you aren't comfortable with. It was the same thing with that young man who once delivered you a pizza. Remember that?" The pixie of the past night was perched on the foot of the hospital bed, looking bored as the man's eyes grew. He certainly did remember that night. It was the night that the fairy first came to him.

"Why won't you leave me to live my life?" The man asked frantically. Svaeille continued to look disinterested and blew a strand of hair from her unblemished face.

"You needed to learn a lesson. You still do. I'll stay with you until you change. Every time you fight the principle, you will be mysteriously injured, and back to square one. It'll look like you did it to yourself. If you give the facts no one will believe you. Be fair and back off with the negativity, and I'll leave. There is such a thing as bad publicity after all, isn't there?" She chuckled, stood up, and strode out of the room.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A19181171

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more