A Conversation for Film Reviews as Approved Guide Entries

Another *cough* movie review...

Post 1

Spartus

Tim wrote one, too. http://www.h2g2.com/A183764

Beware of sarcasm...


Another *cough* movie review...

Post 2

Zach Garland

Well an early draft of what I'm still writing up was pretty mean to the Blade article. However, I'm trying to tone it down because I didn't want to be as mean about it as Slacker is in the Die Hard piece.

It's funny though. =)

I mean I don't like the Blade article, but that's just my opinion. I feel if we're going to tackle movies in h2g2.com, we should have some sort of gameplan which is what I'm trying to instigate here.

Though the movie Blade was fun, I don't see how it deserves attention as an approved entry. I've consented though because even if it's not critically acclaimed or by any stretch of the imagination well-made cinema, it's still a fun movie and maybe we shouldn't be sticks in the mud.

I do see Slacker's point though. An approved guide entry should be more than just a 'review' of a movie. I'm working on trying to explain that but I keep revising myself as I go along.

Good thing I didn't make this a forum post. Once you hit send there, it's all over and you spend the rest of your life explaining yourself. This way I can spend the rest of my life re-editing myself.


Another *cough* movie review...

Post 3

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Ok, hopefully I won't offend here, but I don't think in this case the issue is if the movie Blade should have an official guide entry. What I don't get is how the Blade article was ever accepted in the first place.........loved Slacker's Die Hard article, by the way, but why did he submit it?


Another *cough* movie review...

Post 4

Zach Garland

I think Slacker was trying to make the same point you're making, Frink. The Blade guide entry doesn't go into detail about the film itself. It's just someone's opinion about the movie, and may have been best kept as a journal entry or a user page. The Blade piece not ideally a good example for an approved guide entry. My apologies to Peta, but that's just how I feel.

I've attempted to make an acceptable guide entry about Citizen Kane.

http://www.h2g2.com/A191684

However, I question whether or not even that one is acceptable material, in hindsight. Maybe movies just can't be properly done here in h2g2?


Another *cough* movie review...

Post 5

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Knowing you Zach, your article will be guide-worthy, or at least very detailed. I'll try to pop over to read it sometime soon (but not now, I need to be watching the amazing Mets/Braves game instead of concentrating on h2g2).

Personally, I think movies have to be included. This is the Hitchhiker's Guide to Earth, right? Movies are a big part of our culture - we can't ignore them. The reviews just have to be done right. Reading your opinions on the subject has got me considering some changes to my Kids in the Hall movie submission (thank goodness for the backlog smiley - smiley)

Ok, back to baseball......


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Film Reviews as Approved Guide Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more