A Conversation for The Feline and Fiddle

The Maverick Table

Post 321

153745

smiley - yikes

They're after me!

*looks around nervously at all the faces in the bar*


What have I done?!

*whispering*
Listen, all of you who visit the Maverick Table, I had my vengeance but it cost me and everyone I come into contact with on h2g2 their secrets! They'll Moderate everything you say and do if they knew I was there, somewhere, in some conversation.

There isn't much time! Argh!


The Maverick Table

Post 322

153745

Everything will become clear when I get this God-forsaken article finished and printed in the Post. It will reveal the truth, and I have put my life at stake in writing it.

But I have said too much...

For now, act as inconspicuous as possible, but a word of warning:
If you see the semiotics lecturing shed burned to rubble, and my ashes spread atop it, do not be alarmed. Hopefully they won't get to us too soon, and if they don't, then the shed and I have died for a good cause.

That being said, let's act naturally and do what we always have done here; drink ourselves to sleep.

*orders twenty-five smiley - ale, finishes them all, orders another twenty, and begins to drink away*


The Maverick Table

Post 323

153745

*orders several smiley - stiffdrink, and a smiley - stout, crawls under the Maverick Table, pulls out a notebook and pen from his satchel, and resumes writing the article*


The Maverick Table

Post 324

153745

*from under the Table*

Menza, how's it going?

I haven't spoken to you in a while...


The Maverick Table

Post 325

153745

*walks back in after having a very long discussion with the Semiotics Lecturing Shed. orders seven smiley - stiffdrink, a couple rounds of smiley - stout, eight smiley - bubbly, and also a few smiley - ale*


The Maverick Table

Post 326

Dizzy H. Muffin

[YK enters. Er, just to get a visual idea of him, he looks best drawn Animé style. He has a spiky hairstyle similar to that of Cloud from Final Fantasy 7, or Gary from Pokémon, except that it's black. He is wearing blue jeans and a red jacket over a black H2G2 T-shirt. He is wearing a lightsaber and a blaster at his belt and there is a short, grey horn sticking out of his forehead]

[YK] Huh ... [looks around] I feel almost like this is Orwellian ...


The Maverick Table

Post 327

153745

YK!

Nice of you to drop by! smiley - biggrin

This is the Maverick Table, where drinking is merry and free. When you are at the Table, vast and dangerous amounts of intoxicating beverage goes down like ginger beer, though I must warn you...you will still get a hangover in the morning...

*looks around the bar suspiciously making sure no one is suspecting anything, and then says in a low, almost inaudible voice*

Act natural... smiley - winkeye


The Maverick Table

Post 328

153745

*Yossarian suddenly breaks into a coughing fit*

Cough,cough,cough,cough,cough,cough,cough,cough,they're watching us,cough,cough,cough,cough,cough,cough...

Sorry about that.

*clears his throat and goes through a few smiley - stiffdrink*


The Maverick Table

Post 329

Dizzy H. Muffin

[YK] So, what do you think about that war we're having agaisnt Eastasia and Eurasia? smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye I hope Big Brother manages to pull us through.


The Maverick Table

Post 330

153745

This is a topic of which I know little to nothing about... smiley - sadface

I'd like to hear about this, though, if you wouldn't mind explaining.

What does a crappy realtv television series have to do with wars in the far east and the Yugoslavian area (East Europe)?


The Maverick Table

Post 331

Dizzy H. Muffin

[YK] Have you ever wondered where they got the name "Big Brother" from? Have you ever heard the catchphrase "Big Brother is watching you" and wondered what that's a reference to? You have most definitely not read "1984" by George Orwell. Do so. It depicts ... an Orwellian universe. smiley - winkeye


The Maverick Table

Post 332

153745

Ah.

The only thing I've read by Orwell was, "Animal Farm," though I do remember hearing about how Big Brother was coined from, "1984"...

Ever read, "A Clockwork Orange," or, "Farenheit 451?"


The Maverick Table

Post 333

Dizzy H. Muffin

[YK] No. That something like it?


The Maverick Table

Post 334

153745

*an enormously built, hairy Frenchman enters the bar, walks over to the Table, and puts his frightningly large hand on Yossarians shoulder*

Monsiuer Prefect, you are coming with me...

*he clubs Yossarian in the back of the head, knocking him unconscience, and drags him by the leg out the door*

Help... *Yossarian gasps as he is pulled into the cold, night air*


The Maverick Table

Post 335

Dizzy H. Muffin

[SFX: Summoning zing. The large man is blocked by a large, demonic being who looks like a Minotaur with green pants and firey orange hair, named Ifrit.]

[Ifrit] No he is not.

[[Inferno]]

[The man is blasted by a stream of fire. He drops YP, who isn't even singed. YK joins them]

[YK] Nice work. Mind if I take over? [draws and arms lightsaber and blaster, pointing them at the Frenchman]


The Maverick Table

Post 336

153745

*comes to his senses*

Ugh...

smiley - headhurts

What the hell happened?


The Maverick Table

Post 337

Dizzy H. Muffin

[YK explains what happened and Ifrit disappears.]


The Maverick Table

Post 338

153745

Ah.

I told you those bastards were merciless...

Anyway, 'A Clockwork Orange' takes place in the near future where culturally the world resembles the Victorian Era, except with an incomprehensible amount of gang violence. Kubrick made it a movie in the 70s. Quite disturbing, but well made nonetheless.

Farenheit 451 was written by Ray Bradbury. It depicts a future where intellect has gone down the toilet. Firemen burn books, and the book in general shows the horrors of censorship.


The Maverick Table

Post 339

purplejenny

greetings funsters!

*Arrives wearing not too much make up, not too much clothing.*

Phew its been a hot, long day...

You really should read 1984. Its full of great and scary concepts. Big Brother - constantly watching everyone (hmm a bit like CCTV. Or 'reality' TV. smiley - erm) Room 101 - the room that contains your darkest fears (Orwell used to work at the bbc i believe - in room 101, apparantly) Newspeak - the process of changing and eliminating lanugage to make 'thoughtcrime' (dissent) an impossibilty. There simply werent words like that left - language dumbed down to the point of uselessness. Newspeak words are too simple things can be only be 'good' 'bad' 'doubleplusgood.' Doubt, dissent and thought are discouraged as the language is squiched.

The Ministry of Truth, where Winston worked as a censor - constantly rewrites history to suit the status quo. The status quo is constantly changing since it suits a totalitarian state to be constantly at war. The MINIPAX the ministry of peace, is in face the ministry of war. And most feared of all is MINILOVE - the ministry of hate where winston faces torture for his thoughtcrimes.

(wooo) Takes big chug of smiley - ale

U got any bottles of budvar?

pj

x


The Maverick Table

Post 340

purplejenny

aplogogies for th many typos. Hope u get my meaning. For face read fact, and please make up your own punctuation.

Like i said, long day...

smiley - smileysmiley - ale

pj


Key: Complain about this post