A Conversation for Japan 3: Japan For The Visitor

A18557328 - Japan 3: Japan For The Visitor

Post 21

Ormondroyd

OK, Bob: here's my attempt at clarifying that awkward bit about washing and bathing. My version is shorter than the original, partly because there were some bits in the original that I just couldn't understand, and some other bits that I thought were so precise that they surely couldn't apply to all Japanese bathers (I mean, whether the water would cover your nipples when you sat down would surely depend on how tall you were... not to mention the condition of your chest. smiley - blush) So when in doubt, I've left it out. Right, here goes:


Japanese baths are usually smaller than those seen in the west: the usual Japanese bath size is 100cm long, 65cm wide and 50cm deep. Baths in Japan often have a dimpled pattern on the bottom to help prevent slipping. They also feature a greater degree of automation than most western baths: start to fill the bath, and an indicator will tell you when your bath is half full and then when it’s ready. The water temperature is also usually automatically controlled. The standard bath temperatures are 40°C in summer and 43°C in winter.

Water saving is routinely practiced in Japan, and for this reason Japanese washing machines are equipped with a pump and hose to take water from the bath. The typical Japanese bathing and washing routine goes something like this: the bather places their clothing in the washing machine, enters the bathroom, and sits on a low plastic seat. They then take water from the bath with a bath bucket and wash their hair using water from the bath or shower head.

Next, they apply soap to their body with a brush and get into the bath. After about ten minutes, they stand and pat themselves dry with a towel. When the last member of the household has had their bath, they will put the powder in the washing machine, put the hose in the bath and press the washing machine's ‘start’ button.

The following morning, the clothes are taken out of the machine and hung outside. The hose is rolled back on to its bracket on the side of the machine, and the bath plug pulled to let the remaining water out.


A18557328 - Japan 3: Japan For The Visitor

Post 22

bobstafford

First class Ormondroyd, I will use it as it is, its good to get a clear mind on these things.

Bob...


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 23

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 24

Ormondroyd

smiley - applause Well done, Bob! smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 25

bobstafford

And thanks to you Ormondroydsmiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 26

SchrEck Inc.

Hi BS,

I've been given your fine entry to subedit, and the result is at A19617726. If you spot anything that needs attention, please drop me a note. smiley - bigeyes

SchrEck Inc.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 27

bobstafford

Wonderful job thanks smiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 28

SchrEck Inc.

smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post