Parallel Parking

1 Conversation



One of the greatest fears for new drivers, perhaps even more than drunk motorists or three-lane roundabouts, is the possibility that one day they are will have to parallel park. Admittedly some drivers go through their entire life avoiding parallel car parks, but these people are an exception to the rule and often spend a lot of time walking to and from their cars anyway.



It's really pretty easy. First find a suitable space; be realistic about whether your car will fit into the gap - there is nothing more embarrassing that attempting to park only to find that your car is too long (or the space is too short) and you have to drive away a failure. Next, stop in front of the space. Reverse slowly, and about when your seat is in line with the back wheel of the car in front, turn into the park so you are facing 2 o'clock. (Or 10 o'clock depending on which side of the road you drive on. In your country, that is.) Keep reversing until you curbside front bumper reaches the rear bumper of the car in front. Then turn the steering wheel straight and pull in level.



Some minor correction may be required, but no more than one or two turns; remember if you need 38 turns to get in, then you'll need 38 turns to get out.



Still having problems? Here are some further tips:

  1. Use the reflection of shop windows to see how much space you have between the cars in front and behind.
  2. Get a tow bar. If you do misjudge the distance behind you, at least you won't care.
  3. Buy a car like Herbie the Love Bug which can drive sideways.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A171406

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more