Having A Song in Your Head

1 Conversation

This sucks. Having a song in your head is possibly the most annoying thing in the world. Asked to describe it, I would say that it simply the repeating of a song, or part of a song, by the part of your brain that played video games all through your childhood, and now has nothing better to do but replay the catchiest thing you have heard in the recent past over and over again.
There are different levels of this annoyance. The first is the whole song on repeat in your head. This, although it is annoying, is the least of the evils. If you know enough of the song to get the whole thing in your head, you probably didn't mind the song that much in the first place. The second is when you get the partial song in the head. Parts of songs, and occasionally only a single line, repeating in your head are orders of magnitude worse than an entire song in your head. Painful really- you will need some aspisin after a while. The third, and most greivous one is the partial song in the head that you do not know the words to. If you dont know the words, your whole mind is flooded with the partial line you have in your head and the intense desire to know the words, even though you don't really care. It is as if you honestly believe that if you knew the words, the song would go away. You are wrong as evidenced by points one and two.
There is no known cure for this at this time, but I have heard remedies from listening to the song that is in your head, to screaming the part of the song you know out as loud as you can. In any case, repeating over and over in your head is far more destructive than playing video games, so you could always just go back to that.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A164026

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more