A Conversation for Classic Childrens Toys [original article]

Classic.

Post 1

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

If you term 'Classic' as toys you remember fondly, then .......

Spinner - a cylindrical device with a vertical spoke through the middle. By moving the spoke up and down very fast, you could vary the length of the spin. The device would spin off and create 'nice patterns'.

Kaleidoscope : a cylinder held up to the eye. On looking through and twisting, you could make wondorous patterns, kind of like fractals (the plasma cloud type).

Ok, this ones plastic, but even so ..... Evel Knievel Stunt Bike. You placed it in a control centre, wound up the handle, and wheee....the bike would race of and do stunts, wheelies and such like. I believe this one was recently re-introduced, but was discontinued for many years.

The Six Million Dollar Man. A Barbie type figure that had a magnifying glass for an eye and a lever sticking out his back that when pressed lifted a plastic car engine up over his head. He also had a rubbber cover on the 'bionic arm' which would peel back to reveal two glass panels to represent his bionic parts.

Pogo Sticks, Clackers - roughly same idea as yoyo, but not, somehow. Hula Hoops, Flip Cards, etc.... the list really is endless.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more