A Conversation for Talking Heads (a band 1974-1991)

PLEASE REVIEW/Talking Heads (a band 1974-1991)

Post 1

The Wisest Fool

This is to proffer my page to the powers of critique...


PLEASE REVIEW/Talking Heads (a band 1974-1991)

Post 2

spider

I thought it was a great piece, and not just because I am a great Talking Heads fan.
A piece of information about David Byrnes strange dancing on the Stop Making Sense film.
I recall seeing a documentary (I am not sure if it was TV or videotape) that claimed those dances were based on Byrne's fascination with the human body in states of ecstasy. As evidence they inter-cut film sequences from the twitching bodies in African religious ceremonies and from a strange European festival where the women run in circles until they drop with scenes of Byrne dancing during that performance.
I would appreciate any help on identifying this documentary.
compliments
spider


PLEASE REVIEW/Talking Heads (a band 1974-1991)

Post 3

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Hey TWF, are you taking part in Fun Run 5, or just copying the subject line form?

Although I can't remember the original version very well, the article seems improved. Definitely worth the read. My one criticism would be your habit of using *really long* sentences, especially the first few sections. Other than that, a good piece all around.

-TVF


PLEASE REVIEW/Talking Heads (a band 1974-1991)

Post 4

Mustache

A couple of things:
I know that the Once in a Life Time arm-chop dance is actually a Japanese dance thing (i'm not sure on the details), and that the big suit was inspired by Japanese Noh theater... and also, in that same song, when he's hitting himself in the head, he's supposedly imitating a Southern faith healer... all this stuff is on the commentary on the Stop Making Sense DVD, which is a pretty good DVD.

And also, I dont think youre giving true stories enough credit. i liked that movie before i even really liked the talking heads that much. how can you not like such golden, weird-ass lines like "In my opinion--I can see Ft. Worth from here." Or: "it's cool. it's a multi-purpose shape. a box." Or: "Linda--Larry--there's no concept of weekends anymore!"

other than that its a really good entry, i thought


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more