Danny Elfman

1 Conversation

There are very few musical geniuses in the world. There was Beethoven, there was Mozart, and now there is Danny Elfman. He has scored numerous films, from Pee Wee's Big Adventure to Sleepy Hollow, and provided memorable themes for various television shows, from Tales from the Crypt to Dilbert. His creations include some of the most memorable works of popular culture, such as Batman, The Simpsons, Edward Scissorhands, Men in Black, Mars Attacks, Dick Tracy, and many more.
Elfman has a very distinctive style to his compositions. They are often quirky, odd, and downright weird, reminiscent of the works of Raymond Scott. His sound is perfect for goofy comedy and odd characters. But there can be an innate power to his scores, an emotional quality that moves audiences in the theater and at home. The theme from Edward Scissorhands is some of the saddest, most tragic music ever written.
Elfman is also the leader of the group Oingo Boingo, which produces quirky rock like Dead Man's Party, Goodbye Goodbye, and Weird Science. As lead singer and composer, Elfman led the band to become nearly a household name. Even if not everybody liked their groundbreaking style.
Overall, he is one of the Kings of movie music, rating with the likes of Henry Mancini, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, and Bernard Hermann. Any resident of this planet should be familiar with his works, as his musical presence and influence can't be avoided.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A156999

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more