A Conversation for Gimme some money!

So little to spend, so much time

Post 1

The Wisest Fool

Payday has come not a moment too soon.
I was fearing I was going to have to pawn my collection of painstakingly peeled Pils bottle labels. Now I can start saving for that mop I've had my eye on. Oh joy of joys.


So little to spend, so much time

Post 2

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Well, currently the business office is unable to provide paychecks, at least until the accountant finds her way here......that mop will have to wait a little longer!


So little to spend, so much time

Post 3

GNP Aaron

Bad news, TWF.... I bought that mop to use as a wig... And it makes me look damn dashing.... I think I'll buy another for a merkin....


So little to spend, so much time

Post 4

shazzPRME

Still no sign of the accountant/treasurer huh!I will have to survive on tips for another week then smiley - winkeye


So little to spend, so much time

Post 5

Dudemeister

For further advice consult those qualified. Sorry I can't help - My Brain's Abysmal, not even Mediocre, But Arrogant. Better ask a C.A.


So little to spend, so much time

Post 6

GNP Aaron

Jeeesus, where is Ginger? I need money, no one puts money in a philosopher's begging bowl, and I spent all my capital on those mops. Damn accountants, always having lunch.


So little to spend, so much time

Post 7

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Missing, presumed fed? I posted a message to Ginger, but she doesn't visit h2g2 as much as she used to. I guess we'll just have to figure out her password and break into the Rambling Misfit financial computer.

You would think I would have the information, wouldn't you smiley - smiley


So little to spend, so much time

Post 8

Dudemeister

Isn't money just a representation of the value of stuff. This stuff then gets divided up by the banking system to let people have bits of stuff and trade it for other stuff.

Let's start our own currency system, and play by our own rules - accounts can then wipe up the mess.

Our account is standing at 6,234,314,159,265,362,715 Inter-Galactic Pesos. Oh, er.. well it's now IG$ 6,234,314,141,263,361,715 I splurged on a crate of Newcastle Brown Ale. Want some?


So little to spend, so much time

Post 9

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Sure, but you didn't have to spend any of our mythical currency for it. The bar has plenty...........


So little to spend, so much time

Post 10

Dudemeister

I bought it for the common good. Consider it in the bar fridge.

Any comments on the IG$ currency. I took the "$" sign. Incidentally the "$" was originally the peso sign that came over from Spain. Peso meaning "weight" - ie. so many pounds of silver etc. Mexico uses this sign for the "Peso". To confuse things more, many countries use the same sign for "dollar" - The name of which derives from "Thaler". Thal is German for a valley - to cut a long story short - some dude came up with his thaler in old europe and the term sort of caught on in the new world.

To make the currency more convenient, we could have a new IG$, and toss a few ,000,000s. Some government should decide.


So little to spend, so much time

Post 11

GNP Aaron

And how the hell did you find all that out, dudemiester? Anyway, how many of these pesos are we getting?


So little to spend, so much time

Post 12

Dudemeister

I live in Ottawa, the capital of Canada - my place is just a short walk from the National Currency Museum (also the home of the Bank of Canada, I think they keep all the gold under there). They had a little history of the dollar, peso, pound, etc. thingy - I learnt something!

In an egalitarian spirit, this money reserve should be divided up equally amongst the world's population. They can spend it at the bar here. The softball team should get a lot more as we thought of it - We can take a quarter, divide it amongst the team. The rest can be divided into the 5 billion or so others. This means we shall be the nouveau riche elite, and we can do what we damn feel.

Got a calculator?


So little to spend, so much time

Post 13

Dudemeister

Oh - one thing. All currencies are supposed to be based on a reserve that is backed by something that actually has a value. And you can figure out what it is worth in terms of other people's currency.

The IG$ is backed by a reserve of lottery tickets. My crate of Newcastle Brown cost on the order of billions of IG$ versus about CAN$50. However, the currency may have valued or devalued since then - depending on the numbers.


So little to spend, so much time

Post 14

The Wisest Fool

Hi Dudemeister, welcome to the club.
I'd never heard that stuff about currency about before. Why don't you write a guide entry about it?
Actually, apart from for the odd mop, we don't really need currency round here accept to spice up the odd game of poker.
BTW TVF, is there a casino in here anywhere?

Free drinks all round (as usual!) - TWF


So little to spend, so much time

Post 15

Dudemeister

But how do we puchase the stock for the bar? Now you have a hooligan on the team, you have to keep the beer stock (and 100% Tequila stock - explanation http://www.h2g2.com/A154441 - so you won't buy the wrong thing) It will now be more of a challenge.


Beer-Pump Fiction

Post 16

The Wisest Fool

I have an errm 'connection'. I don't think we'll go thirsty.
Every now and then I get sent an envelope through the post with a name, address and photograph. I just have to go out and 'reject' the person named from their life. You don't need to know the details, but suffice it to say the stock is taken care of smiley - smiley


Beer-Pump Fiction

Post 17

Dudemeister

And the tequila - If we can get a crate of Don Julio, one of Herradura's El Jimador, It'll keep the brian sells wurking for a couple of daze.

How's your Mexican connection? I can help with the Spansh, if you like. Oye, amigo, me traes una botella de Don Julio.


Beer-Pump Fiction

Post 18

Bluebottle

By the way, can I be paid in Triganic Pus, or failing that, £s?


Beer-Pump Fiction

Post 19

shazzPRME

££££s sound good to me too Bluebottle smiley - smiley
shazzPRMEsmiley - winkeye


Beer-Pump Fiction

Post 20

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

You really should check with our accountant, but she has yet to come to work!


Key: Complain about this post