A Conversation for Procrastination

The art of...

Post 1

Hypoman

Procrastination was a really important and well-developed art form when we were at Uni. There was a beautiful spot for doing it, too, on the front steps of the main building at College. We'd sit there on sunny days, contemplate our navels (favoured time for doing this was always immediately after lunch, so our navels were usually somewhat more visible than normally), and for the really twitchy: play handball. Conversation ranged wide and far, but was frequently interspersed with comments like "I've just got to go and give birth..." (referring to the need to take a crap). The ability to simultaneously converse with the crowd on the steps and play handball was greatly admired and respected in this environment.

The only excitement encountered during such periods occurred when somebody lost at handball enough times to be compelled to b*****k the tennis court (for the less brave) or the oval (for the hard-core repetitive losers).

The style of procrastination was not a competitive concern, but some were considerably more stylish than others. The pinnacle of style in this forum of procrastination was to fall asleep on the steps - usually meaning that the person who had done so would miss at least one of the afternoon's lectures. I have never encountered a more developed environment for procrastination since, and I greatly miss it.


The art of...

Post 2

bubster

Ah, well I remember the days. Of course, this aspect of the artform was raised to its pinnacle around exam time. There was a perfect spot for procrastinating by the Master's swimming pool, as well as the opportunity to nurse a virtually undigestible cup of College coffee last for hours. The procrastinator's sport of choice varied, but volleyball on the front lawn was popular...

Boy, now I've come over all nostalgic! That'll make it easier to avoid this work I have to do...


The art of...

Post 3

Hypoman

I always envied you guys that swimming pool (assuming you were in that College next to Women's, just across the oval from us)!

I think the whole College did, for that matter. It could have been that which led to some of the more famous minor acts of vandalism with which we used to plague each other (the Colleges, not the inhabitants!).

I take your point about nostalgia...!


The art of...

Post 4

bubster

Yep, that's the pool in question. I don't think we took advantage of it as much as we could have. Still, it was a great way to wake yourself up after an all-nighter before a morning exam!

Meanwhile: I gather we won the Rawson's cup AND the Rosebowl this year... that must've been some Victory Dinner...


The art of...

Post 5

Hypoman

It must indeed have been! I suspect it's still going, if that's what happened! Has that ever happened before?

The basketball dinners you guys used to throw were amazing, reputedly (I never actually got to attend one - I was too busy getting over our own which were usually being held around that time!).


The art of...

Post 6

bubster

No, I'm pretty sure it's never happened before. I think this is the first time we've won the Rawson's cup since we went "co-ed" - and that was 30 years ago!

And, yeah, they probably are still partying.


The art of...

Post 7

Hypoman

Congratulations! Even as an old boy that must be a good feeling!

I'm tempted to start singing the old songs at you just as a nostalgia trip - as well as to provoke a reaction. I suspect the only reaction I'd provoke, though, would be to see me thrown out of H2G2!


The art of...

Post 8

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I think you both really need to come here http://www.h2g2.com/A431911 and join up..... or maybe it's just that you're putting it off until tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day.... ahem. Sorry, got carried away there. Won't happen again.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Procrastination

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more