The movie Ek Ajnabee

2 Conversations

This Indian movie has the same plot as the Hollywood movie �Man on Fire�, with only a few changes and a different ending.

While �Man on Fire� was about Americans living in Mexico, �Ek Ajnabee� is about Indians living in Bangkok, Thailand. In this view of the world, Thailand has the same serious problem of wealthy foreigners being kidnapped for ransom that Mexico does.

The main character, Suryaveer Singh (�Surya�), obtains a job as a bodyguard through an old army friend of his. He�s asked to look after the young daughter of an expatriate Indian family. He initially tries to stay detached, but quickly becomes friends with the girl. When she�s kidnapped, he�s devastated, but then goes out seeking revenge, killing anyone he can find who�s connected with the incident.

As in �Man on Fire�, the main character is an alcoholic. While in �Man on Fire� there wasn�t any obvious reason for it, in �Ek Ajnabee� Surya is traumatised by his experiences in war where he accidentally killed two innocent children during an ambush. It makes his actions more believable.

While the storyline is basically the same as in the original movie, some scenes are more rushed and a scene or two is left out. There are some humorous parts and, because it�s an Indian film, it has the obligatory synchronised dance routine (set in a nightclub, so it�s not completely out of place). It also has an intermission half way though. Indian music plays in the background throughout the movie, contrasting with shots of bustling, overbuilt Bangkok.

The dialogue is mostly in Hindi, with English subtitles. However, some parts of the dialogue are in English. The characters switch from one language to another seemingly at random. Oddly, even the English dialogue is subtitled (and not always accurately!) The subtitles are poorly done, being out of synch with the dialogue in the first half of the movie, and sometimes being displayed in white on a white background. It lets the film down somewhat.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A14588715

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more