Taunton, Somerset, UK

2 Conversations

Taunton is a market town in the South-West of England, situated midway between Bristol and Exeter. It's the county town of Somerset, and the largest centre in the area in terms of shopping, amenities and population. The exact population of Taunton is difficult to gauge, because there are several villages on the edge of town1 that are effectively suburbs, having become engulfed as Taunton has expanded, but remain distinct places with their own identity. According to the 2001 census, the population of the Taunton Urban Area (i.e. including the surrounding villages) was 58,241 - but in comparison, the latest figures for the parish of Taunton2 on its own totalled 44,050 people.

The population of Taunton is not particularly cosmopolitan. There is no University in the town, and no major industries to attract outsiders to come and live in the area, although since Poland joined the EU there has been a significant influx of migrant workers to the surrounding rural areas. Like many medium-sized rural towns, there tends to be a 'brain drain' in Taunton: when people growing up locally pass their A-Levels at the age of 18, many of them go away to University and most of them don't come back once they've graduated.

Orientation

The River Tone runs through Taunton from South-West to North-East, and the town's main shopping area is just to the south of Tone Bridge, on North Street and East Street. Somerset's County Cricket ground is on the south bank of the river just to the east of the bridge, and Taunton Castle is just to the west of the town centre. North of the river, there are also some small shops (and the town's main swimming pool) along Station Road which, logically enough, leads to the railway station.

Although Taunton grew up around the River Tone, the modern town effectively ignores its waterfront - although there is a small, pleasant riverside park called Goodland Gardens between Tone Bridge and Taunton Castle - for the most part, the river is surrounded by car parks and the odd supermarket, and the livestock market opposite the cricket ground3.

If you arrive in Taunton by rail, the town centre is about 10 minutes walk to the south. If you arrive by bus or coach, you'll pitch up at the Bus Station next to Taunton Castle - there's an archway you can walk through next to the Castle Hotel that'll bring you out on North Street.

A Little History

Taunton began as a Saxon village next to the River Tone - it was initialy called Tone Tun, 'tun' meaning farm or estate. It made the transition from village to small town in the 10th century, gaining charter status in 904. At the time of the Domesday Book, there were 3 watermills by the River Tone, and Taunton developed around the wool industry, which was the town's main trade until it declined in the late 18th century.

Somerset Rebels

When the Duke of Monmouth led a rebellion against King James II in 1685, the people of Taunton welcomed him, declared him King, and about 400 men from the town joined his cause. Shortly afterwards, the Duke was defeated by royalist forces at the Battle of Sedgemoor, the upshot of which was a court being held in Taunton Castle that came to be known as the Bloody Assizes. Judge George Jeffreys4 tried 514 people, sentencing 144 of them to death and ordering a further 284 to be transported to the West Indies.

Drink Up Yer Cider

With the decline of the wool industry in the late 18th century, silk making was introduced to the town in 17785 and other textile-based industries developed in the late 19th century, most notably shirt-collar making. However, Taunton's status throughout history has mainly been as a trading centre - it's always been a large and important market town. In the 20th century, Taunton became famous for its cider - until 1998 when the Taunton Cider company closed its premises at Norton Fitzwarren in 1998 with the loss of 550 jobs, transferring production to their remaining factory at Shepton Mallet6. Although, of course, there are still a plethora of small-scale high-quality cider producers in the area. Today, the UK Hydrographic Office is one of the largest employers in the town, with a workforce of over 1500 people.

Transport Links

One of the plus points of Taunton is that it has very good transport links. Almost all First Great Western railway services stop at Taunton station on their way from Devon and Cornwall to London (which is only two hours away), and similarly Virgin Trains cross-country services link the South West with the Midlands and North7. Taunton is also just off the M5 motorway, which links the South West with Bristol and the Midlands. London is just over three hours away by road, either on the M5 and M4 motorways, or by leaving Taunton on the A358 and joining the A303 at Ilminster. The A303 is a more direct route and generally considered to be a far more pleasant drive, except at busy holiday times when it's prone to long delays due to only being single-carriageway in places. Both National Express coaches and local operator Berry's of Taunton operate freqent services to London8, and in the case of National Express, also further afield to the Midlands and North more exotic destinations like Westward Ho!

Air links are also improving in the South West. Bristol International Airport has now has a regular service to New York as well as a variety of European destinations, although public transport links from Taunton to the airport are atrocious - the airport is located between Bristol and Taunton and is about 45 minutes away by road, but there's no direct bus service so the only way is to take the coach link to Bristol Temple Meads station and a train from there to Taunton, which can take an hour and a half. Exeter Airport has also expanded in recent years and offers flights to the Isles of Scilly, mainland UK, Europe, and Canada.

Sport

Without a doubt, Somerset County Cricket Club have the most illustrious sporting history in Taunton. In the late 1970s and early 1980s the side captained by Brian Close won five trophies in as many years, thanks to the sparkling talents of Ian Botham, Viv Richards and Joel Garner. More recently, the likes of Marcus Trescothick and Ian Blackwell have honed their skills at the County Ground on the best batting track in the country, and gone on to represent England at Test level. The County Ground in Taunton recently became the official home of Women's Cricket - although suggestions that it should be renamed 'Ladies'9 have so far been ignored.

Compared to Somerset's cricketers, Taunton Town Football Club haven't acheived quite such national impact. But they have had their fair share of success playing in the Western and Southern Leagues, and the biggest day in their history came in 2001 when they won the FA Vase10, beating Berkhamsted 2-1 in the final at Villa Park.

The Taunton Tigers basketball team compete in National League 3, and Taunton Rugby Club play in South West League Two.

Taunton Racecourse.

Culture

Any famous Tauntonians, if that's the word? Must check. Carnival, of course.

Shopping

Farmers market on the High Street on Thursdays. Three town centre supermarkets (Sainsbury's, Morrison's and Tesco) as well as an Asda and a larger Sainsbury's on the way out to the M5. Hatcher's and Debenham's (Head Office is in Taunton). Most of the usual chainstore suspects can be found in the town centre. The Old Market Centre. Anna's Dairy, The County Stores, Ballers.

Eating and Drinking

Excellent restaurants - the Castle Hotel has a Michelin Star, and the Willow Tree is run by blokey who used to work for blokey, and concentrates on excellent local produce blah blah blah. The Sanctuary, Bonne Vie and that other French place. For reasons that aren't quite clear, most of the town's purveyors of pizzas, kebabs, fish and chips and Chinese, Indian or Thai food have congregated on Station Road. The usual McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, Starbucks and Costa Coffee can be found in the town centre.

Nightlife

The Brewhouse Theatre next to the River. Odeon Multiplex out at Hambridge. Deller's Wharf and Shout! are the only clubs, and the Sunday karaoke night in Que Pasa packs 'em in.

Accommodation

Castle Hotel. Corner House. Is there anything resembling a hostel? Campsites nearby.

Education

No University. SCAT, Taunton/King's School.

Places to Visit

West Somerset Railway nearby. Exmoor. Sheppy's or Rich's Cider?

http://www.tauntondeane.gov.uk/
1Bishop's Hull, Staplegrove, Trull, Bathpool, Monkton Heathfield and Norton Fitzwarren.2Measured by Somerset County Council in 2002.3Although plans are afoot to build homes, shops and offices on the site, as part of the vision for the redevelopment of Taunton4Also known, not unreasonably, as 'The Hanging Judge'.5One of the major roads on the west side of town, linking Staplegrove to Bishop's Hull, is called Silk Mills Road6Definitely not a Dry Blackthorn day.7Although since they introduced the new, smaller, Virgin Voyager trains you'd be well advised to get a reserved seat if you don't want to stand.8Direct journey times are between three and four hours.9To make it the true equivalent of Lord's, the offical home of the men's game10The FA's Cup Competition for smaller non-league teams

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A13958463

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more