A Conversation for Ale

Overview/A137756

Post 1

vegiman:-)

I have called this an overview, rather than a review because as you may have noticed my english is not so hot. Excuses aside.

The piece is very long for h2g2 standards but you couldn't cut any away without spoiling it. I have a very short attention span, but I read the whole lot. It kept my interest even if I am a bearded,pipe smoking kind of guy. The Real Ale Brigade that I know are in the main yuppees or nurdes who almost fit your description.

Only one bad mark, I could see. You repeated yourself. As a bearded pipe smoker - you had a go at me twice. Perhaps the sentence:

like to cling onto the past. Which brings us to,

Should read.

Which brings us back to (the bearded bla bla bla) and,

Camra.

and slightly rewriting the next paragraph to suit.

If I were ask to give a rating, it would be 8. 9 after the repetition was corrected.

If you want to put it in the next fun run, It would be a pleasure to do so. It could be a while before this one runs its course.

Thanks for the invite
vegimansmiley - smiley


Overview/A137756

Post 2

Pastey

It is quite long isn't it? When I sat to to write this I had in mind a nice succinct article, but it just kept flowing. Believe it or not what I originally wrote was about twice that length.
I've changed that bit a little and think it sounds a bit better. Still not sure though.
smiley - fish

By the way, thanks.
smiley - fish


Overview/A137756

Post 3

The Dancing Tree

It's not too long in my view - I'd rather see a decent long article that's good to read (like this) than a rapid fire contentless thing that happens to be mildly amusing (like about half of the stuff I get to sub). Keep writing stuff like this and you'll have a nice wodge of guide entries under your belt. Probably.


Overview/A137756

Post 4

vegiman:-)

Nice one Pastey and I agree with Dancing Tree it is worthy of guide entry. The length of the article in a magazine would be short and a good read. The format of h2g2 makes its seem longer. An optical or otherwise illusion. The length was no criticism, just the average h2g2 articles are shorter.
vegimansmiley - smiley


Overview/A137756

Post 5

Mudslip

So ale is ok almost unimportant. The length of the piece however is significant. Sorry the point appears to have been lost. Real ale is not only a drink for nerds and yuppies but a fine support for normal social pub activities. Which brings me to the point. I like it and prefer it to more normal fizzy fuddle. It has charm, flavour and the advantage of a range to cover most palletes. A fluid of great value and deserving of significant interest and discussion. And this from a non smoking, flat bellied normal guy who would be saddened to be considered a nerd ( or nurd ) if thats more important. Is that too short?


Overview/A137756

Post 6

Pastey

Not really. I will get around to editing the article a bit and putting the bit about Camra in as a seperate piece.
It is annoying though, the stereotype given to Camra members and Ale drinkers. I'm an Ale drinker, have been since I first tasted lager, I'm even the membership secretary for my local branch. The thing is, I'm 24 and flat stomached. The point about the range is a very valid one. There are a lot of ales on the market, somewhere around 3000 at any one time, but you just try naming even 100 lagers.
smiley - fish


Overview/A137756

Post 7

H

I went to my first Great British Beer Festival this year and have come away a member of Camra. I too do not fit into the stereotype, as a clean shaven, non-smoking 25 year old with what was once a flat belly.

I was expecting to see a proliferation of the stereotypical beardy types, but I was impressed (and somewhat relieved) to find a very wide range of people enjoying the huge range of beers.

One thing that your article does not contain, which probably deserves an entry in its own right (if it wasn't for the fact that it could be considered to be advertising) is a mention of the Good Beer Guide. An essential tool when travelling around the UK, I have used the guide for places to stay all over, with a 100% success rate.



Overview/A137756

Post 8

vegiman:-)

I am sure h2g2 will not mind a little advertising when it refers to an article written. They are trying to make h2g2 into a world guide. I don't think they are fat bellied, bearded - although I think I saw Jim wearing one on his first posted picture.
vegimansmiley - smiley


Just a quick point...

Post 9

Necro (Patron Daemon of Patron Saints)

Hi there!(tickertape tickertape)

I would be extremely suprised if any of you guys have read any of my articles, but here I am. I may only be seventeen, but, since my uncle introduced me to real ale six months ago, I have tried over thirty different ales, including the award winning Fuller's 1845(I prefer the ESB). I love the stuff, and I'm not old enough to either have a beergut or a decent beard, nor to qualify for legal pipe-smoking status(i heard the rumour that they were thinking of bringing the age of consent down to 21, but that appears to be unfounded).

If you wish to be better aquainted with the area in which I live (Whitley Bay), we have two pubs listed in the CamRA guide: Fitzgeralds and the Briar Dene. Both nice.

Cheers!smiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fish


Just a quick point...

Post 10

BluesSlider

Can't for the life of me remember how I got here but I thoroughly enjoyed the article.


Just a quick point...

Post 11

Pastey

Thankssmiley - smiley

smiley - fish


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ale

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more