A Conversation for The Floating Bridge, Southampton, UK

First in...

Post 1

Peta

That's a really good article Ginger. Very interesting. You have submitted it I hope? Any news on the editing thing you were talking to mark about?


First in...

Post 2

Ginger The Feisty

No that seems to have died a death. I have submitted the article but not sure it is the sort of thing they are looking for. I can almost see the rejection letter now saying "It doesn't say enough about what a floating bridge is or how it works!". Not a problem though because I will quite happily write what I want in the hope people read it from my user page as you did. Getting it into the guide has become a lesser aim!


First in...

Post 3

Peta

It is an acceptance. This is what they want. Very good and appropriate article. The other thing may resurface, they are trying to sort so many things at once I think - summer etc etc


First in...

Post 4

Ginger The Feisty

I realise that. It's pretty much the same everywhere. You should see our office now half the people are on holiday. Even when everyone is in we only just have enough to support the system, with half of us it is all going kaput! Trouble is half the users are on holiday and they are the competent ones! Still it makes it all fun smiley - smiley


First in...

Post 5

Bruce

We still have a few of these here in Australia - in the bush - but we call them 'vehicular ferries' - not very imaginative at all.


;^)#


First in...

Post 6

Ginger The Feisty

I did a search and I think "floating bridge" might be a very Southamptonish term! The road in Woolston on the east side of the river is still called floating bridge road!


First in...

Post 7

Peta

No one is at work at my place either - including me!! Most of the professors take August off entirely and come back mid September. That's the life!! Then they moan that they are underpaid and busy... I have to finish this by next March can't you see the pressure I am under? (They are probably trying to address an envelope)


First in...

Post 8

Ginger The Feisty

LOL - What's even funnier is when teachers and professors claim they spend all of their spare time in tems time coming up with lesson plans etc when they just reuse the ones from last year! I say that the curriculum should change every year just to keep them on their toes. *Ginger now ducks down behind parapet as teachers start firing flaming arrows!*


First in...

Post 9

Bruce

Well it definitely has more charm than 'vehicular ferry' - always makes me think of some hillbilly saying veeehickle.


;^)#


First in...

Post 10

Ginger The Feisty

It's odd for Oz too because you're normally very good at coming up with snappy names for things!


First in...

Post 11

Bruce

I think we left that one up to local councils - big mistake!


;^)#


First in...

Post 12

Ginger The Feisty

I think you should start calling them motor-floaters and see if it catches on!


First in...

Post 13

Ginger The Feisty

I think you should start calling them motor-floaters and see if it catches on!


First in...

Post 14

Peta

sounds a bit like the stuff that comes out of the tanks of cruise ships thou!


First in...

Post 15

Ginger The Feisty

Hey Peta! Was it a late night or an early morning when you made that last posting? It must have been about 2 am - Ah but I forgot you are a city-dweller where they stay awake all night! smiley - smiley


First in...

Post 16

Bruce

I've tired out 'motor-floater' on the local inhabitants - but it doesn't seem to work - perhaps if it was delivered by wiff an Arfa Daley sttyle accent along the lies of 'wanna by a new mota-floata, John' it might be more successful.


;^)#


First in...

Post 17

Peta

Well spotted. I was bored at 2-3am in the morning. I should have gone to bed. But no too busy chatting on ICQ. But I regretted it the next day!!


First in...

Post 18

Jimi X

Hey Ginger -
It's not just a Yank term after all!!
I thought that it sounded familiar as a "ferry" instead of a "floating bridge". But I have to agree that floating bridge sounds much nicer!

(For the rest of you, if you're confused, please check out the other forum for this article!)

- Jimi X


First in...

Post 19

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Fine article Ginger. Possibly strengthen the last paragraph. Instead of "In my opinion" maybe "It was definitely" and expand a bit why it was. Ambience, fun, history whatever. The h2g2 editors do not seem to like opinion. 8/10

In NZ we call them car ferries. Still a few left and long may they remain. smiley - bigeyes


Key: Complain about this post