Bruton, Somerset, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bruton, Somerset, UK

2 Conversations

You would actually be quite surprised at quite how many people have heard of this very small and beautiful town, nestled in the most attractive part of Somerset.

Bruton is renowned for many things indeed, not least of which is education. Firstly, it is the only place I know of that doubles its population during term-time due to the vast influx of youngsters desperate to cram knowledge and learning into their developing minds. It is also a very ancient place, with Iron-age hill fort and Roman hill forts nearby, a ruined abbey from the work of Henry VIII (bless him), and a wonderful example of a packhorse bridge across the River Brue.

If all this is not enough to whet the most voracious of appetites, then why not come to Bruton to look at the antique shops? But if that's not your thing, we do have the original 'Bill the Butcher' who, I'm told, will sell you a fantastic piece of beef (sur l'os, no less).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A132805

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more