A Conversation for A Baby Doctor Writes...

Male gynaecologists

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

I don't know if it's the same in the UK as in Sweden, but the fact is that a lot of women (in Sweden) prefer male gynaecologists, and the main reason seems to be that, in general, male doctors are more gentle when examining a woman than female doctors.

I've heard this several times, not only from female friends and colleagues but also from the company nurse when she recommended a gynaecologist to me. A married couple have this practise together, both being gynaecologists, but the smiley - nurse said 'Actually, I'd recommend going to *him* rather than *her* - he's better at it'

I myself haven't experienced much difference in male and female gynaecologists - but once when it was thought that I appendicitis, I was - uh - is that called 'palpitation'? Anyway, the first female doctor (who was also young and an immigrant) was extremely hard handed - everything she did hurt!smiley - yikes A second male elder Swedish doctor came in and took over and made sure I was relaxed before examining me, and that did (of course) hurt a lot less (I didn't have appendicitis).

Not too sure if the female doctor was hard handed because she was a) female, b) young or c) immigrant, maybe having had different training?


Male gynaecologists

Post 2

Z

That is strange, though perhaps male gyneacololists may tend to be older, considering that the majority of trainees these days are female in this country anyway, and therefore more experienced?

Maybe she was so rough because it's difficult to make people feel relaxed if you're not so familar with the languae, or maybe it was because she was more inexperienced.


Male gynaecologists

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

a) Not all male gynaecologists are young

b) If a doctor is not all that familiar with the language of the country in which he/she is practising, then maybe he/she ought to take another language course? Although 'ouch!' ought to be understandable in all languages, eh?

c) Yep, so maybe it was hurting because she was young, but having no or little experience ought to make you be a bit more careful than usual, right?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A Baby Doctor Writes...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more