Dating

1 Conversation

The worst thing that can happen to a calm, happy, mentally stable person is for someone to ask him or her out. This is devastating to character and induces unnecessary stress, self-examination and often a good bit of running around in circles trying to find something to wear (or, in a guy's case, finding the appropriate potted plant).

While dating is viewed as positive, beneficial, fun and extremely desirable by those not involved in the activity at the time, it is known by all who actually participate that it is a fairly useless procedure that accomplishes equally well what a simple thing like the death of a family pet might. What exactly dating accomplishes is this: it forces one to re-examine the relationships in his or her life and decide whether or not it's worth it to go out and, metaphorically, get a new goldfish.

However, dating does have it's positive side-effects as well. Often after doing so for several years (or, for the impulsive, months), it can lead to the stable and rather blandly acceptable state of marriage (which will ultimately lead to the new and exciting state of divorce). Also, it garuantees the jealousy of all but close friends, and can sometimes even drive these people away, forcing you to expand into new circles of peers in an attempt to re-establish your once so secure place in the Universe.

In conclusion, dating is an activity only truly appreciated by those who are NOT participating. Therefore, one finds him- or her-self constantly in a struggle to either become involved in the activity of dating, or to remove him or her-self from it, a vicious cycle which must be stopped.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A129494

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more