A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

Battle of Trafalgar

Post 81

AlexAshman


*kicks Whisky*

Any chance of a section on Nelson's death? smiley - smiley


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 82

Whisky

Ok, I'll figure something out - gimme 48 hours


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 83

AlexAshman


smiley - oksmiley - cheers


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 84

bobstafford

smiley - magicsmiley - oksmiley - cheers


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 85

bobstafford

Hows it going chaps smiley - smiley


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 86

bobstafford

Hi chaps got any ideassmiley - smiley


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 87

Whisky

Whoops - hang on...


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 88

Whisky

The death of Nelson

Several rumours and unsubstantiated comments come to light over the years on the subject of Nelson's death. Among these are the reports, by a number of his officers, that they asked him, prior to the battle, to remove his uniform coat, which was embroidered, in silver, with the four Orders of Knighthood he had been granted. These, said various officers, would greatly simplify the task of the snipers in the enemies' masts, to identify and gun-down British officers during the battle.

Who it was who actually suggested he should remove his coat, and what Nelson's response was to the suggestion, is still a point of conjecture. Legend has it that he deliberately wore the coat to ensure he would be visible to his own sailors, thus improving their morale during the battle

Another comment, reported by the captain of the frigate HMS Penelope, Henry Blackwood, who was onboard the Victory during the hours leading up to the battle, was that as the first shots were fired, and Capt. Blackwood was preparing to leave the Victory to return to his own ship, Nelson turned to him and said, "God bless you Blackwood, I shall never speak to you again".

Regardless of rumour or comments, it is clear, from a prayer Nelson wrote in the hours leading up to the battle, that he was ready to die for his country if that was to be his fate...


May the Great God, whom I worship, grant to my Country, and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious Victory; and may no misconduct in anyone tarnish it; and may humanity after Victory be the predominant feature in the British Fleet. For myself, individually, I commit my life to Him who made me, and may His blessing light upon my endeavours for serving my country faithfully. To him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend.

Amen. Amen. Amen.


The chain of events leading to Nelson's death that day came to a head at approximately 2pm on the 21st October 1805. The Victory was engaging the French Redoutable when a sniper, perched in the mizzen mast of the French Man-o-War, fired down onto the Victory's quarterdeck, hitting Nelson in his left shoulder.


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 89

Whisky

That's the first half of his death - introduction to being shot...

I'll work on the second half: The firing of the shot to his return to England, tomorrow lunchtime if you like (let me know if you want it a bit shorter though or if this level of detail's what you wanted).


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 90

bobstafford

Hi Whisky This is absoloutly fine just right, well done! Now we are so close now that I have put it here to start the process of comment. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F74130?thread=4113941&show=20&skip=0#pi1 Lets see what others have to say Bob...


Battle of Trafalgar

Post 91

bobstafford

Hi All On the recomendation of Trin Tragula the thread has been moved to http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F48874?thread=4115429 Hope you keep up. Bob...


Key: Complain about this post